Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Citalopram - any advice?

(23 Posts)
redmimi Wed 10-Feb-16 19:48:58

I have been prescribed 20mg Citalopram today. Part of me feels hugely relieved to have been given something that might make me feel better. I haven't had antidepressants before though (just counselling) and am scared of the side effects after reading a lot online.

I was thinking of starting them tonight. Does anyone take in the evening or is morning better?

Is there anything else I should be wary about? I have only told my husband I have them and am at work tomorrow plus will have my two little ones to get sorted.

I might be overthinking things.

PanMama Wed 10-Feb-16 19:52:21

Hello.

I'm on 40mg Citalopram.

You'll probably feel very sleepy the first few weeks of taking them.
I take mine in the morning, if I take them at night I'm buggered if I forget.

I also have problems orgasming whilst on them. But I'm on a higher dose and have been for a while so this may not affect you.

HTC a little X Good luck.

RuddyHellItsSoftCell Wed 10-Feb-16 19:55:05

My doctor told me some people like to take before bed as they find it helps them drop off to sleep but it's just personal preference and you can do am or pm.

RuddyHellItsSoftCell Wed 10-Feb-16 19:55:42

Yes felt weird the first night but it soon levels off.

NiceAcorns Wed 10-Feb-16 20:04:04

I take them last thing, as they make me sleepy. They have changed my life

Cat2014 Wed 10-Feb-16 20:07:10

I take them last thing at night as I find I feel good when I wake up then.

georgetteheyersbonnet Wed 10-Feb-16 20:07:48

They are great stuff, you will feel a lot better - but you can feel bad going on to them and as you adjust. Some people have no problems at all, but it's normal to feel strange in the first couple of weeks - usually settles down by 10 days/3 weeks in. Anything from lost appetite to feeling jittery or similar, but hang on in there.

FrancesHaHa Wed 10-Feb-16 20:10:29

I don't take them anymore, but was on 20mg previously.

Taking them at night was better for me, as they made me feel sleepy. The first week was a bit wierd, a bit spaced out, nauseous and jittery, but that didn't continue, and I'm glad I persisted as they helped me a lot.

Littlefish Wed 10-Feb-16 20:13:58

I found the first 2.5 weeks really hard - bone tiredness, felt sick all the time, strange clenchy teeth thing everytime I yawned (which was all the time!). I really had to persevere with it to get through those first few weeks. I took mine before bed so that the tiredness and sickness I felt was worst overnight when I was asleep (if you see what I mean).

However, once I got past those, I really did start to feel so much better. Much less anxious, overwhelmed, tearful, angry or jittery. I just felt much better able to cope with work, homelife and everything.

Good luck.

Liberated71 Wed 10-Feb-16 20:24:00

I started on 20mg - for the first week or so I slept a lot (tho I had had an emotional breakdown so that may account for that) and yawned all the time! I avoided alcohol for a few weeks til I felt more on a level. I've upped my dose over the past few years - and have also had times on lower doses. I take mine in the morning so I've got time to take them if I forget. My advice would be to stick with it for a few weeks - they've definitely been great for me, but others find other SSRIs more effective. thanks

redmimi Wed 10-Feb-16 20:37:04

Thank you all. I'm going to start tonight and see how I get on. Really nervous but hopeful that there's a chance for things to change. I might check in over the next few days, it's reassuring to know there are others out there who have been through similar.

CorBlimeyTrousers Wed 10-Feb-16 20:45:09

Hello. Another who's on 20mg citalopram. I remember reading the leaflet and feeling terrified of the side effects (suicide a side effect of an antidepressant, how brilliant) but that hasn't been my experience. Never had any significant side effects, except tiredness. But I also have a baby so the tiredness comes with the territory! The medication has helped me so much. My nurse warned me that you can sometimes feel worse for a few days so watch out for that. She also said to make sure I take them on a full stomach, so I take them after dinner. I'd avoid alcohol until you know how you feel.

Good luck. I hope it helps you. If it doesn't then there are other medications they can try so try not to lose heart.

redmimi Thu 11-Feb-16 20:38:15

So far so good, only day one but no side effects yet.

I know the medication can't be working yet but I have felt so positive today, almost like a weight has been lifted. Maybe it's because I'm trying to take control and start to feel better after such a long time of being so very sad.

TwoHatsTooMany Thu 11-Feb-16 21:48:43

Hi redmimi, I'm in the same boat as you, the GP put me on 20mg yday after I realised that I was at breaking point after months of just ignoring it.
I took the first dose last night, today I'm flitting between balls of anxiety and feeling good that I've got sorted.
Only down side is that I have side effects already, my jaw is so tense it's aching and I'm having bursts of nervous energy where I need to do anything to keep moving. The positive side to this though is that I'm hoping as quick as the effects started that they'll disappear.

redmimi Thu 11-Feb-16 22:44:04

I hope it works for you twohats and that the side effects wear off quickly. I have realised, especially this evening, that I've been grinding my teeth today. Trying not to get hung up on that as all I can think about now! Hopefully each day will get us closer to feeling better.

PutDownThatLaptop Thu 11-Feb-16 22:47:09

I didn't get side effects but they have also changed my life, I couldn't be without them. They do make me feel tired though (or maybe that's my job/family life!) I take 30mg in the morning.

Littlefish Fri 12-Feb-16 19:50:54

Redmimi - I've been clenching my teeth at night since I started taking them.

redmimi Fri 12-Feb-16 21:26:37

I've only been noticing it at night little fish, hoping it stops or at least I become less conscious of it.

kathryng90 Sat 13-Feb-16 12:11:42

Also on 20 mg. I felt awful for 4 weeks. Sick, tired, no appetite and when I did eat everything tasted wrong. I take in the morning as it stops me sleeping. 5 months in and the side effects have all gone and I am feeling in a better place. Stick with it.

GuyMartinsSideburns Fri 04-Mar-16 19:35:02

Hi redmimi, I wondered how things were now, a few weeks down the line? I've been prescribed the same today, if I'm going to take them I plan on starting on Monday as I've got a couple of things planned over the weekend so wanted to get those out of the way first. I've been under a lot of stress and anxiety lately, and I haven't felt able to drive for 6 months due to the physical anxiety symptoms. I've been trying to deal with things myself but this week decided a Drs appointment was needed. I find out next week if my husbands chemo has worked so I'm pretty much at breaking point at the moment, but still a bit scared to take them.

I guess I can tell myself that I don't have to stay on them if they don't work, but the benefits if they do work will be worth it. I'm just a bit concerned how I'll be for the first couple of weeks or so. I was put on fluoxetine (sp?) years ago when I was 18 and I remember feeling wired as hell but of course I lived with my parents then so I could sleep when I wanted etc I didn't have children to worry about. I also think I feel a bit disappointed in myself also, for not being able to just 'get over it', silly as that may sound.

weenett Tue 12-Apr-16 15:25:13

How is everyone now?

Blossomblast Tue 12-Apr-16 15:38:26

I felt kind of spaced for a couple of weeks but you can always just say you're not sleeping or something if you dont feel 100% at work and dont want to say why. I started them at night with the idea that side effects would be worse straight away but I have no idea if thats actually the case! Try not to feel guilty, its great that you've had counselling too,and actually a combo of talking therapy and medication has been shown to be most effective.

My side effects wore off quickly but if you find you have a longer term side effect that's interfering with your life you will be able to switch to a similar drug and try that.. I've tried 3 and they do seem quite different!

CantGetNoSleeeeeeep Tue 12-Apr-16 22:40:30

I take 10mg reduced from 20mg for over 3 weeks. I take it at night at 7pm as it make me drowsy. If I take it later than that I found it hard to get up but it's getting much easier now

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now