Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

How can I help my friend, she's at breaking point

(4 Posts)
romanrainsalot Tue 09-Feb-16 16:22:35

Firstly I'm sorry if this upsets anyone who experienced/is experiencing this/similar.

I've been friends with her for 10+years. Shes mid-30s, having a mid-life crisis about work (she has a very demanding and stressful job, has devoted her career to it, but doesn't want to do it anymore). She's seen a counsellor for a few sessions but only a few a while ago. It got to the point where she collapsed and was taken to hospital with the stress. She is very depressed.

Her MIL died from cancer last month after being ill for a number of years. My friend is due to get married in July. Her father has had a number of skin cancer episodes and now its returned again. He's going to have to have part of his nose removed and rebuilt and a lymph node removed).

I don't get to see her as often as I'd like due to distance, family commitments etc. How can I help her to get help? What do I say to her when she text me that about her Dad? I'm really worried for her.

Quoteunquote Tue 09-Feb-16 17:38:02

Keep up communication, it's the most important support going, having a lovely friend helps so much.

dangermouseisace Tue 09-Feb-16 18:27:25

I think all you can do is be there for her, call, email, whatever and listen to her.

tinofbiscuits Tue 09-Feb-16 21:38:42

Could you suggest she sees her GP about her stress levels?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now