Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Fear of travel - what has helped you?

(1 Post)
BelfastSmile Thu 04-Feb-16 16:28:06

I've always been quite anxious, even as a child, and never liked travelling too far from home or to unfamiliar places unless my mum was with me (eg I could go to the nearest town, 10 miles away, but no further). When I went to university, I began to be able to travel further and further, and was able to go on holiday with friends quite happily.

However, about 8 years ago I had a breakdown (mainly due to stress from work) and relapsed badly. I could barely leave the house for a while. Gradually I pushed myself to go a bit further, and now, 8 years on, I'm able to go out and about within about a 20 mile radius of home (with conditions - I can't eat out except in very specific places, and with people I know very well; I can't stay overnight in other people's houses). I'd really love to be able to travel more, especially as I have a husband and baby and we'd like to go on holiday - I would love my son to see the world!

I've had 3 sets of counselling (CBT each time); one for about 6 months and the others for a few months each. They didn't really help. I had hypnotherapy (6 weeks, I think), which also didn't make much difference. I'm on mediaction (Sertraline) and am taking the highest dose I can (it was increased, but the side effects were too much).

I'm sort of stuck as to what to try next. It feels like I've made no progress at all in the past 3-4 years. I keep seeing holidays being advertised and thinking I'd love to book something, but the fear of it turns me into a nervous wreck. Has anyone else conquered a fear like this, and if so, what did you find helpful?

Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now