Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Anxiety worsening - is this perimenopause?

(9 Posts)
francesrivis Wed 03-Feb-16 17:47:22

Hi, I'm almost 46 and have always suffered from anxiety. Until recently it was reasonably well controlled with Mirtazapine; however over the past couple of years it has been getting worse and worse. I used to cope well on 15 mg Mirtazapine; I'm now on 30 mg but still experiencing severe anxiety. There's nothing particular going on in my life to cause this; I'm convinced it must be hormonal, ie. perimenopause. I have floated this idea with a couple of GPs but they have said because I am still having regular periods it is not hormone related.

Just wondering if other people have had this experience, and how you coped? I have been offered Pregabalin but am reluctant to take this up unless I have to - has anyone else taken it for anxiety, and how did you find it?

TIA

francesrivis Thu 04-Feb-16 17:13:42

bump

LaurieFairyCake Thu 04-Feb-16 17:16:50

Have a google of generalised
Anxiety disorder and see if it rings any bells.

Bombastic123 Thu 04-Feb-16 17:17:44

I am taking pregabalin and it really helps me. Very good drug.

francesrivis Thu 04-Feb-16 18:11:10

THanks so much, bombastic, I have really wanted to talk to someone who actually has experience of it. Can I ask how long you have been taking it and whether there have been any side effects? Do you find it affects your clarity of thought at all?

kerstina Thu 04-Feb-16 19:08:49

Yes my anxiety got worse too it was like pmt but much worse feeling extremely edgy ,racing thoughts . Am on a low dose of anti depressant but not helping much but I don't really want to increase dose .

Bombastic123 Thu 04-Feb-16 19:25:19

I have taking about a year. I tried to stop it as I felt so fine but got anxious again so restarted it again. I was a while on maximum dose and felt zoned. Now I am on half the maximum dose and doing fine. It just makes me less anxious in a way that I am not thinking anxious things or feel anxious.

MandieMandie Wed 10-Feb-16 20:45:44

Francesrivis
I am suffering from terrible anxiety at the moment and can only connect it to being premenopausal. I have appointments for ecg, blood pressure and and blood tests. Doctor have given betablockers which haven't helped at all. I'm signed off work for a week and hoping some of the tests shed some light on what exactly is wrong. The isn't much info anywhere on anxiety triggered by menopause.

limon Thu 11-Feb-16 16:34:48

I'm perimenopausal and was still having regular periods until I got a coil fitted. my anxiety has been through the roof . I take hrt, citalopram and mirtazapine and have been going to private counselling.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now