Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

My Relationship with SERTRALINE

(8 Posts)
JanuaryKat Tue 02-Feb-16 08:27:04

It's early days, I started on 25mg last Monday for 4 days, I'm now on 50mg. No significant side effects - dry mouth, thirsty, not really interested in food. Don't feel any better - crying several times a day, every day. Yes, I'm impatient for it to work.

I spent a few years on Fluoxetine & decided to come off it last summer, very gradually & sensibly. I thought I was doing OK. I was quiet pleased with myself - med free, eating healthily, exercising, not exactly 'happy' but not unhappy. I'd given up smoking a few years previously, ended all toxic relationships, got a grip on my disordered eating, gave up alcohol just before Christmas. I got rid of the Band Aids I had used to help me cope with (avoid?) the shit things in life - the safety net of self destruction.

Even though on the surface they were fun to be around, I have distanced myself from the friends who seem to cope with their sticking plasters of alcohol & occasional drug use.

A few weeks ago I knew I was slipping into that hellish black hole of hopelessness. I crashed, hit a brick wall - had a breakdown I think.

And here I am - writing this to stop me from going back to bed today. I'm 45 years old. My children deserve to have a mum who enjoys life - who actually FEELS joy at their achievements.

I don't feel suicidal, it's more of a feeling of not wanting to exist - I don't see the point of 'me'. I dislike myself intensely, I don't 'care' about 'me'. I'm not sleeping - bed 11pm, awake 2am. I don't want to leave the house. I feel overwhelmed by everything - from the basics of doing the washing up to the big stuff of dealing with paperwork for my divorce. I could go on, but I'm boring myself.

I would like to hear about other peoples experiences - old, new, good, bad, ugly. Any advice because this is a really shit, lonely place to be.

NanFlanders Tue 02-Feb-16 10:53:46

I feel for you. My sertraline has become less effective of late and I've been spiralling down - BUT I have been on it for nearly 10 years (50ml dose) since my most hideous bout of depression and in that time I've found it to be a wonder drug. I felt normal for the first time and didn't have the emotional numbness of Paroxetine ( Have also taken fluoxetine) Doc has increased my dose and I'm doing online cbt (Beating the Blues - some good tips). Hang on in there and I'll do the same.

JanuaryKat Wed 03-Feb-16 16:03:17

Sorry to hear that you are going through similar, Nan. I wouldn't wish this on anyone. Hopefully we will come out the other side stronger.

Borninthe60s Wed 03-Feb-16 16:05:53

Maybe coming off the meds last summer has caused a gradual decline. Hopefully you'll start feeling better soon when the new ones work. Stay on them and hopefully life will improve xx

HeadSpaceAvailable Thu 04-Feb-16 22:39:47

Hi Kat,
Sertraline has been fab for me. Been on it for 8 years, gradually increasing dose & now on 125. It's a lot but it keeps me on a pretty even keel - which after 35 years of depression (I'm 48) is a bloody miracle!
Keep on with the meds that suit you & don't resist a dose change if your gp suggests it: better now effective higher dose than a less effective lower one cos you feel bad for needing to increase.
Fully agree with the cbt approach, again it's done wonders for me in a couple of shitty scenarios. Same with meditation / mindfulness / yoga breathing.
Loving thoughts to you & the other posters here x

JanuaryKat Fri 05-Feb-16 08:05:50

I think you are right, Borninthe60s coming off the meds wasn't the best idea. I thought I could go the 'natural' route - vitamins, healthy eating & exercise. I'm sure it works for some people but I realise that it wasn't enough for me.

Hi, headspace I'm pleased to hear that Sertraline worked for you. I'm only just getting my head around the fact that depression is an illness. I guess that if you find a med that works it's best to stick with it long term. I had the view of if I come off the meds I'm proving to myself that I'm cured.

I woke up at 4am instead of 2am this morning, so that is a slight improvement. Still had the blind panic feeling though. I was taking 3.75mg of Zoplicone - no effect, but last night I tried Nytol (an over the counter one). So I'll ditch the Zoplicone & stick with the Nytol.

Moodwise - I didn't cry y'day & made it out of the house for a walk - first time in a week. But I'm finding it really difficult to concentrate, writing this post is taking forever - my head is a jumbled mess. I guess having dizzy sick spells is another side effect of the Sertraline.

The GP gave me a leaflet about cbt, I think? I'll try & find it - my task for the day.

Rumours Sat 06-Feb-16 19:01:04

Hi I'm on 150mg of sertraline, been on it for 3 years now. I was hoping to start reducing it soon, but the last few days I've been feeling quite low, so I don't think it get reduced just yet.
I just want to run away and hide just now, but won't, I will paste that smile on and pretend all is ok.

TheHoneyBadger Sun 07-Feb-16 12:18:20

coming on and coming off of meds is incredibly disorientating for the brain. it has to totally re-order around this new factor and then in reverse it has to totally reorganise when it's withdrawn.

give it some time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now