Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Therapy exhaustion

(9 Posts)
SparkleSoiree Fri 29-Jan-16 08:20:47

Recently started counselling for some intensive childhood issues. I knew it wouldn't be easy but I am genuinely surprised at how I feel afterwards. I hardly slept last night (although I do have the flu starting) and today I'm physically exhausted just rerunning the session in my mind. This is also triggering other flashbacks of events not yet covered.

Is it like this every session? Will it get better? I feel I'm going to have to write off 24hrs of every week just to cope and process this. Can anyone else relate?

TychosNose Fri 29-Jan-16 13:39:27

Yes I can relate.

I've had lots of therapy with a few different therapists/approaches. One in particular I found incredibly draining to begin with. I used to just sit and cry for about an hour after the first few sessions. It was hard work.

It got better. Much better. I found it less draining and it turned out to be extremely helpful. I had over 30 hours with that particular psychologist. At first I sort of hated her but I persevered and now I can see how she changed my life entirely.

One thing I found useful was to mentally book half an hour each day to ruminate/dwell on the stuff we'd talked about so the rest of the day I wasn't allowed to think about it. That way I mostly managed to contain the emotional stress and prevent the therapy from taking over my life. If I found myself thinking about it, and I often did, I could just say to myself "no, you are going to think that through later. Now isn't the right time"

Good luck x

SparkleSoiree Fri 29-Jan-16 19:39:00

Thanks TychosNose. I am relieved that it's probably part of the process and I'm feeling a bit more calmer, together and less emotional this evening. I will make a plan to have some me time after each session to allow myself to collect my thoughts and calm down.

GeraldineFangedVagine Sat 30-Jan-16 09:57:38

I'm coming to the end of a course of therapy and have three sessions left. Like you, I found it really draining, especially sessions that were about the more painful things. Now I feel that I've turned the corner and am even enjoying it. I can see it as a positive now, where before it was just unpleasant. I've been going for around 6 months. Think I was lucky in that I really trust the psychologist. Good luck and persevere!

SparkleSoiree Mon 01-Feb-16 18:54:08

Thanks GeraldineFangedVagine. I'm worried that the upsetting things will go on forever and it will make me want to stop going. I really want to get through this though and come out the other side in the way you describe. I'm just going to have to dig in with it! smile

Onlyonce Tue 02-Feb-16 23:02:58

Totally get this. I would say as long as you are happy in your choice of counsellor, you feel safe and comfortable with them, then it is totally normal. It's really hard. One week might be OK and the next awful but you find a way to get through it. Maybe mention it to your counsellor next time, they might be able to suggest something that could help

GeraldineFangedVagine Wed 03-Feb-16 13:01:37

hi op, how are you doing now?

SparkleSoiree Wed 03-Feb-16 17:25:58

Hi GeraldineFangedVagine, I'm doing good the last couple of days. My next appointment is tomorrow and I'm a bit more prepared for the aftermath and have cleared my diary so that I can just come home and do what makes me feel comfortable. I like the counsellor and I feel safe in the space with her so I'm now viewing the after feelings as a byproduct of the session that I have to cope with so my mindset has changed a bit more towards the counselling generally. I'm glad I posted actually because otherwise I may have given up after a few weeks thinking it wasn't working. Thanks for asking. smile

GeraldineFangedVagine Thu 04-Feb-16 14:22:10

Hi OP, Im glad you are feeling a bit better, hope todays appointment wasn't too horrific. My last session is this tuesday, feeling a bit sad about it. thinking I might start doing therapy privately, seems to be very useful smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now