Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

sertraline weight gain

(12 Posts)
juicynectarines Mon 25-Jan-16 21:18:56

Hi hoping some of you can help. I've recently been prescribed sertraline for anxiety.
I'm normal weight at the moment - size 12 - not overly slim but not overweight.
I am really worried about all the stories about weight gain on sertraline and wondered if anyone else on here takes it and whether they put on weight or whether to is not as bad as the stories would suggest?
Thanks in advance

purplerainbow Mon 25-Jan-16 21:20:40

Hi Iv recently come off it and my weight didn't change at all.... Hope that helps .

Roseformeplease Mon 25-Jan-16 21:24:33

Yes, I have. But, I am 47 and menopausal. Also, I put it down to being much less stressed so I am not being too worried and obsessive about dieting. (Probably about 7lbs but I am very tall so not a huge proportion of body weight).

Roseformeplease Mon 25-Jan-16 21:25:22

puplerainbow, how is coming off it? Am starting to do so soon.....

icklacknok Mon 25-Jan-16 21:25:31

I think any weight I've put on is due to the mirtazapine rather than the sertraline.

AwakeCantSleep Mon 25-Jan-16 21:25:52

I was on Sertraline for over a year, and there was no change in my weight at all.

purplerainbow Mon 25-Jan-16 21:27:47

Roseformeplease it wasn't great but that was my fault. Iv been on it in the past and weaned off it carefully over the appropriate time but this time I did it off my own back and didn't come off them over a long enough period of time and I struggled mainly with dizziness/nausea. Fine now though!

AwakeCantSleep Mon 25-Jan-16 21:28:21

And coming off Sertraline wasn't a problem at all. Found it very easy.

AwakeCantSleep Mon 25-Jan-16 21:51:18

Should add that I came off Sertraline very gradually. Halved the dose for a month, then halved again for a couple of weeks before stopping entirely. I barely noticed a change.

Sertraline hadn't been working very well for me for a while, and I had issues with side effects, so I was glad to see the back of it.

purplerainbow Tue 26-Jan-16 08:01:35

Just wanted to add that Iv been on it 2 other times and both times had no issues coming off it as I did it as per doctors instructions. Was only this time it was bad as I didn't do it properly!

juicynectarines Tue 26-Jan-16 08:06:17

Thank you everyone. You've made me much less worried about starting it!

lampshady Tue 26-Jan-16 08:07:11

Didn't gain any weight, in face lost it, mainly because I had undiagnosed bipolar and it sent me manic! I didn't have an increased appetite or anything and moved around a lot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now