Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Doctors randomly telephone home asking questions

(16 Posts)
LoveAndSound Fri 22-Jan-16 20:15:55

I had a "breakthrough" (aka breakdown) in 2010 due to controlling men around me. I also have two children and have raised them myself very well.

Today I got a random call out of the blue from the doctors surgery we are registered with. We would like to meet your youngest child followed by a string of fishing quetions. I made it clear I felt uncomfortable and soon put this doctor in her place but she still continued to push on in her patronising manner.

I guess this could be a knee jerk reaction to today's mainstream news, a home schooled lad died due to scurvy who's mum had "mental health" issues.

Has anyone else had this experience which I found invasive, monitoring and degrading delivered with bad conduct.

All the best to you and thanks for reading !

X

dangermouseisace Fri 22-Jan-16 22:41:51

That's a bit odd! It takes forever for Dr's surgeries to get around to doing anything though, so I doubt it was prompted by todays news. And after all…I'm sure that the majority of neglected kids etc have parents that don't have a MH diagnosis.

I know that I used to get letters about my youngest child but they were always being —guineapig--part of a trial batch of kids to have some vaccine, or to do some tests for the university on or something.

Did she give you any reason for wanting to meet your child? As like you, I'd be suspicious…like why my child and why now?

Fizrim Fri 22-Jan-16 22:46:30

Have you registered with that surgery recently? When we moved house, they offered my DD a check because she was 4 but said that I didn't have to do it as she was just weeks off turning 5 and it was for 4 or under!

LoveAndSound Sat 23-Jan-16 08:10:23

Thanks ladies.

Well her first question was is your child in mainstream education or home schooled, I said yes to mainstream, then she asked which school, at that point I said this sounds like you are monitoring me, well I have a duty of care was her reply.

Mmmmh, she said your child is a minor and little and we have not met her, I said this is bizarre in all my 47 years I have never had a call like this and it sound like big brother in action!

She then acted passsive/aggressive, I said I am sure someone would of reported me or my child if someone thought something looked worrying in this day and age!

I have no patience for cold calling, hard selling " prying government linked" personnel she could of put this in a letter or backed off. That does not sound caring to me.

We only go to the doctors if we really have to and they are the worst place to visit, with sick, unwell people and I guess as my child is very healthy and happy and the last time I took her was years ago, she had other concerns ! ?

I take responsbility for our health and am intelligent enough to know when we need help, so it was all a bit intimidating to me and like you say odd.

Ho, hum, I appreciate your comments.
X

Diggum Sat 23-Jan-16 08:16:14

Odd. I'm a GP and would never cold call someone like that with the excuse of not having met their child.

Is there a chance someone could have spoken to the GP about you or your children and expressed some concerns (legitimate or not)? That's the only reason I can think of that a GP might try to get you in....

TeaT1me Sat 23-Jan-16 08:18:56

I'd go in! But I'm curious as to why they'd want to see you. Take healthy child in, fond out what they were curious about. Job done.

ginmakesitallok Sat 23-Jan-16 08:19:25

Not all parents are intelligent enough to know when they need help. They are not monitoring YOU, they are checking up on what could be a vulnerable child.

ginmakesitallok Sat 23-Jan-16 08:20:42

Was it a gp calling?? I assumed it was someone updating records or a hv?

dangermouseisace Sat 23-Jan-16 08:36:01

It is odd…I never take my kids to the doctors either as there is only very rarely the need to do so. I could understand if home schooled as then they don't see the nurse to do height and weight/eyes etc.

YouAreMyRain Sat 23-Jan-16 08:40:25

Did you phone them back to check that it was GP ringing? It could have been anyone claiming to be your GP

LoveAndSound Sat 23-Jan-16 08:46:41

Hi All

And Diggum, thanks for your reply, I think you may of hit the nail on the head someone has made a call in. And to be honest I am devastated that could be the case.

My daugther is the love child of an affair and I feel it may of been the wife and she is an X NHS nurse. Me and her dad have a good connection for the sake of working as a team to raise our daugther.

What can I do about that and put a stop to it, would a GP disclose that info ?

Thank you.
X

NerrSnerr Sat 23-Jan-16 08:57:48

I agree that someone may have raised concerns. I would make an appointment as they may become more concerned if it appears you're avoiding professionals? Did your daughter attend all her health visitor checks? If so you could call the hv and ask them to have a chat with the gp as they'll know if there's no concerns.

mudandmayhem01 Sat 23-Jan-16 09:08:18

I am trying to say this very gently, your posts are a little strange. How is your mental health? If everything is fine go to the doctors and set their minds at rest or maybe you need a bit of real life support.

LoveAndSound Sat 23-Jan-16 09:30:55

Please forgive me if I am sounding a little emotional and I think that is acceptable and it takes courage to air this on a social site to people who I dont even know.

The school my child is at would of had words with me by now if they were concerned as that is the process and then it is escalated if need be.

I intend to make contact with the GP concerned and put them in the picture and ask further questions. I am also fed up with this "MH" label/stigma I have stuck on me and being played against me, is she OK, best report her etc. ?

I have nothing to hide/fear so have nothing to worry about.

As to my mental health - its the best its ever been and continues to be so.

Thank You.

mudandmayhem01 Sat 23-Jan-16 09:57:27

I am glad you are feeling well, I think engaging with the GP is a positive step as you have nothing to hide. Services are so overstretched that many people with serious issues don't get the help they need. I am sure you GP practice will be delighted to know everything is ok and they can get on with helping those who need it.

LoveAndSound Sat 23-Jan-16 10:33:50

Absolutely, help those who really need medical attention in an over burdened NHS, - its been a learning curve this one and made me a little wiser!

smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now