Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

cognitive behaviour therapy

(9 Posts)
eternalopt Sat 02-Jan-16 15:27:57

Anyone got any experience of this they can share? What does it do? What can it help with? Suffering pretty badly with anxiety and beating myself up over things. Need a way to switch my brain off, at least long enough to calm myself down. Decision anxiety and revisiting mistakes over and over and over is exhausting me. CBT gets bandied around as the fix for everything, but what is it? Would it help? Where can I get it?

CinnamonBunYou Sat 02-Jan-16 18:54:18

I suffer anxiety and panic attacks and it helped me a lot. They try and change your way of thinking about things and your way of coping with things and they give you techniques to use.

You just need to go to your GP and ask about it and then they will put you on a waiting list. Took me a month to get an assessment done, then another 5 months to get an appointment and start therapy though, so I wouldn't expect anything to happen soon.

Good luck smile

eternalopt Sat 02-Jan-16 20:34:00

Thank you. I'll speak to my gp about it.

hefzi Sat 02-Jan-16 21:56:20

The way you describe what's going on with you, it sounds as though CBT would offer some excellent techniques for helping you: it's about changing your attitudes to things, really, and helping you dissect your thoughts so that you can quiet the intrusive ones etc. There's various strategies they'll teach you, and it's really helpful for what you've described: well worth exploring, I think.

hefzi Sat 02-Jan-16 21:59:29

The way you describe what's going on with you, it sounds as though CBT would offer some excellent techniques for helping you: it's about changing your attitudes to things, really, and helping you dissect your thoughts so that you can quiet the intrusive ones etc

DorynownotFloundering Sat 02-Jan-16 22:20:12

Agree with above but don't be fobbed off with a health & well being practitioner, usually a shorter waiting list but although useful for minor MH problems,I found they were well meaning but out of their depth as less experienced/qualified.

eternalopt Sat 02-Jan-16 23:18:54

Just really need an off switch on my brain sometimes. Get obsessively wound up over the smallest things and cannot stop until I'm too exhausted to carry on. I know I'm being irrational, but get caught in a cycle and just desperate to switch my brain off just for a break

eternalopt Sat 02-Jan-16 23:27:57

I clearly need something to help my memory too, as I've already said all that! Oh dear!

I know that if my friend was sat in front of me telling me she was worried about smiling things to me, I'd say all the right things about there being bigger things to worry about blah blah blah. Still doesn't stop me obsessing. I've always been a bit "lock the door three times, check it another five", but I feel like my anxiety is getting out of control lately (not that the lock thing is normal behaviour)

eternalopt Sat 02-Jan-16 23:41:14

Similar, not smiling. Ffs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now