Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

I'm actually starting to think I'm awesome

(19 Posts)
MyGastIsFlabbered Fri 01-Jan-16 18:44:03

Bear with me, it's been a rough year (2015). I've had problems with depression all my adult life, not helped by an EA exH who I am finally divorcing.

But I've actually started thinking that I'm awesome, and that if people don't like me that's their problem, not mine. It's still early days but I'm hoping it's the start of something better. And I'd like to post this so that if I slip down again I can remind myself that I got to this place, and I can get there again.

Fairyfuckingprincess Fri 01-Jan-16 18:46:01

Well done you. That can be a difficult place to reach. Stick with it. flowers

Branleuse Fri 01-Jan-16 18:46:12

:D

chubbymummy Fri 01-Jan-16 18:46:12

That's great! Well done.
Hopefully I'll learn to like myself in 2016 and can feel the way you do this time next year.

MingZillas Fri 01-Jan-16 18:47:20

That's great, I'm glad you're thinking like this and that hopefully things are looking up a bit for you.

I also suffer with depression and should take a leaf out of your book in thinking I'm awesome too smile

MyGastIsFlabbered Fri 01-Jan-16 18:51:08

We're all awesome. It's not been an easy place to get to, and I'm pretty sure I won't always feel like this...I'm so used to feeling like I'm worthless that it feels quite alien to feel different. I'm pretty sure I've gone about it the wrong way, but I'm here and I can build on this.

ProfessorPreciseaBug Fri 01-Jan-16 19:55:24

Well done....

No more to say....😀

MrsPeel1 Fri 01-Jan-16 19:59:51

This is my favourite post ever!
You are definitely awesome.
And you will stay awesome even if you don't feel it star

killmenowplease Fri 01-Jan-16 21:54:50

I am sorry! but having read some of your recent self indulgent threads, yes I have too much time on my hands, and not in UK, I am not really sure you are in an accurate place to assess this sadly sad

You were upset last night relating to a gentleman with whom you had only been out once, declining your New Years Eve invitation!! very desperate I feel I am afraid.

You have also recently been discussing friends who have let you down for no reason, and an ex you had been seeing disappearing. I don't know, and it may seem hard, but it does seem the common denominator in all these threads is YOU. Perhaps you need to look closely at yourself in all this.

MyGastIsFlabbered Fri 01-Jan-16 21:59:46

Erm, yes I know my recent threads have been self-indulgent but I'm kind of at a loss to think why having a long hard look at myself, and deciding I can't assess myself would be helpful. I know I have a long, long way to go before I am anywhere near healthy, but for the first time in a very long while, I actually think I deserve to get better. I am beginning to think that if guys turn me down it's their loss not mine, and this is huge for me.

Whensmyturn Fri 01-Jan-16 22:06:47

You're awesome even if it were only because you've come through more difficult times than most people experience.

SackGirl Fri 01-Jan-16 22:46:37

Wow can't believe someone went to the trouble of being negative towards this post! All the other posts that person mentioned doesnt mean you forgo feeling better about yourself. You are the only one who can assess whether they feel in a better place than you were before. Well done on you for realising you're awesome and try to hold on to that feeling for as long as possible. It's over coming all of the lets downs and get downs that builds us and makes us stronger and you feeling better about yourself is strength!

DragonsCanHop Fri 01-Jan-16 22:48:47

You are awesome

Don't let the fuckers bring you down!

DoctorTwo Fri 01-Jan-16 23:02:10

. I am beginning to think that if guys turn me down it's their loss not mine, and this is huge for me.

Spot on. You are indeed awesome. I'm glad you finally found out.

MingZillas Sat 02-Jan-16 11:06:56

killmenow I think that's really harsh, this is the mental health board ffs.

Branleuse Sat 02-Jan-16 11:52:50

Feeling awesome is great and that feeling may come and go, but what you definitely are is FINE and ENOUGH.
Please dont let some negative arsehole piss on your fire. xx

MyGastIsFlabbered Sat 02-Jan-16 14:45:12

Thanks people. I'm definitely more on an 'I'm average' vibe today, but actually that's good enough, it's a million miles better than 'I'm a disaster' which is normally how I feel.

MyGastIsFlabbered Mon 18-Jan-16 07:44:38

Just checking in to say, while the past few weeks have been difficult, I'm still doing ok, I have brief moments of awesome but generally feel at least that I'm good enough. I'm doing a bloody good job with my kids as a single parent and it feels good that I can finally say that as I've always felt I was letting my kids down. But my boys are awesome and that's mainly down to me.

ProfessorPreciseaBug Mon 18-Jan-16 08:10:48

Pleased to see you still feeling better...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now