Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Anxiety

(9 Posts)
Boglin Fri 01-Jan-16 04:34:57

I think I am finally ready to accept that I have anxiety. It's been suggested to me a few times but have previously brushed it off. Reading around the subject I would guess it's generalised anxiety disorder. So what now? Do I see GP? What is available to me? And has anyone had successful treatment for anxiety?

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Fri 01-Jan-16 06:25:48

No ideas on treatments available but yes, speak to your GP. Good luck, I hope things improve for you, anxiety is awful flowers

Boglin Fri 01-Jan-16 06:58:26

Thank you. I've had it for a long time and I'm tired of it now. And I don't want to restrict or affect DC's lives because of it so this is the year I deal with it.

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Fri 01-Jan-16 09:10:17

I didn't have a diagnosis of anxiety but I did have a phobia that ruled my life to the point that, one Christmas, I became a virtual recluse. Like you, that New Year I decided that enough was enough and vowed to put an end to the fear and I did. With the help of my GP, some CBT and some other talking therapy I managed to manage my phobia to a point where it no longer rules my life. It can be done and the biggest (and most difficult) step is the first one. Good luck smile

Fckup Fri 01-Jan-16 09:11:43

GP is your first step, medication and cbt will help.

ProfessorPreciseaBug Fri 01-Jan-16 09:57:20

See the Gee Pee...

Here is to a better new year than last one...

Boglin Fri 01-Jan-16 19:32:23

Thank you. I will make an appointment next week and see what they say. I haven't told DH yet, I can't seem to say it out loud yet.

Needtobebetter Fri 01-Jan-16 20:33:41

I feel for you OP, I'm just coming to terms with the fact that I have anxiety problems and depression as a result of it. I went to my GP a few weeks ago and was brutally honest about my symptoms, he was amazing and I felt a huge sense of relief just getting it off my chest. He prescribed me citolapram and after a lot of support from here I started to take them, the side affects have worried me and my anxiety did increase but it's all starting to settle down now and I feel positive. I have to do some therapy too to make sure I address the cause of it, but please go to your GP as just knowing it can be sorted out is a real weight off. I hope you're feeling better soon.

Boglin Fri 01-Jan-16 20:59:08

Thanks needtobebetter, I'm sorry to hear you're in the same boat and it's really encouraging to hear that you are starting to feel better. I can trace this back to me being 15 so that's almost 20 years of what I now realise are abnormal thoughts and enough is enough. I'm scared about the thought of taking medication but I will if that's what is best. I definitely think I could benefit from CBT but will see what happens at the GP. I feel ready to tackle it now. I hope you continue to feel positive and that the therapy helps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now