Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

What to do in the meantime

(7 Posts)
Soapmaker34 Tue 15-Dec-15 18:59:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Marchate Tue 15-Dec-15 20:16:10

Somehow you need to be 'fast tracked', and I guess that varies from area to area.
It may not be right for you, but a relative of mine was signed off with depression/anxiety. She felt so bad she went to A&E, saw the MH team, and was fast tracked to psychiatric services.

Cel982 Tue 15-Dec-15 20:21:44

There are some really good self-help books on dealing with anxiety. I'm sorry I don't have a list to hand just now, but I know one is called When Panic Attacks. Definitely worth checking out (your local library should stock some), some people do really well with this approach. Good luck!

hefzi Wed 16-Dec-15 11:52:22

In the meantime, check out some of the links from here:
www.getselfhelp.co.uk/links2.htm

and read this page (short!):
psycheducation.org/treatment/psychotherapy-for-bipolar-disorder/free-online-computerized-cbtcognitive-behavioral-therapy-for-depression/

before going here:
moodgym.anu.edu.au/welcome/new/splash

I know a lot of people who have felt MoodGym is helpful, but you do have to put the effort in.

Good Luck!

Soapmaker34 Wed 16-Dec-15 18:39:57

Soapmaker34 Thu 24-Dec-15 14:01:15

hefzi Fri 25-Dec-15 12:22:23

Propranolol will help the effects of panic attacks, Soap but doesn't stop them from occurring, if that makes sense? They are a bugger, though - I now have no shame whatsoever after having one on almost every bus I take to work, half the shops in town and virtually everywhere else I go! All I can promise you is that it will get better - I know it might not feel like it at the moment.

After Christmas, if you're not noticing a difference, might be worth asking your GP if you can take the propranolol as needed, rather than once a day? Also, keep pushing yourself to leave the house, even so - otherwise, it's really easy to get to the state where you don't leave at all, and it gets harder and harder, which also takes longer to resolve in the end: even if it's just to the end of your road or whatever, try to get out every day.

Your GP might also look at prescribing you some ADs - at different doses to those used for depression, these can also work on anxiety: definitely worth thinking about if you're not noticing an improvement in the New Year.

Hang in there, Soap flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now