Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Citalopram and pregnant

(5 Posts)
HarrysMummy17 Fri 11-Sep-15 23:17:41

I've just found out I'm 2 weeks pregnant. I've been on citalopram for 9 months and I'm concerned about continuing to take it. I've made a doctors appointment but it's not for another 2 weeks.
I didn't take it this morning but now I'm worrying about how it will affect me not taking it.
Has anyone been through similar?

5608Carrie Sat 12-Sep-15 00:08:08

Citalopram is not the first choice antidepressant in pregnancy but the risks are still very small with it. How is your depression at the minute? This is a decision that needs careful balancing between your health and the babies health.

5608Carrie Sat 12-Sep-15 00:34:01

This is what the official manufacturers data says:

A large amount of data on pregnant women (more than 2500 exposed outcomes) indicate no malformative feto/ neonatal toxicity. Citalopram can be used during pregnancy if clinically needed, taking into account the aspects mentioned below

Neonates should be observed if maternal use of citalopram continues into the later stages of pregnancy, particularly in the third trimester. Abrupt discontinuation should be avoided during pregnancy.

LimpidPools Sat 12-Sep-15 01:29:32

You really shouldn't just stop taking it. Firstly, you are presumably taking it for a good reason. Secondly, you are likely to start feeling extremely peculiar. If you do stop taking it, you need to do it gradually.

Trurouge Sat 12-Sep-15 01:38:35

I was in a similar situation and spoke to the doctor who recommended coming off and trying CBT instead. I'm now 36 and have been off the tablets for most of the pregnancy there are pros and cons though and I would wait until you see your doctor before deciding what's best for you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now