Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Overcoming negative dreams

(2 Posts)
treaclesoda Tue 11-Aug-15 04:15:04

My mental health has always been, lets say, less than robust.

But I've worked hard at controlling my depression and anxiety, with cbt, counselling and a lot of medication. And mostly I can manage things.

But, one of the biggest contributors to my poor mental health was when I was younger I had the most awful experience of bullying at work, and I've never really recovered. I pretend I have, and that I don't care, but it's all bubbling away under the surface.

During the day I can push the thoughts away, but at night I can wake with my heart pounding, crying and shaking, because I've dreamt that I'm back in the office getting shouted at and I'm terrified. Then, of course, the intrusive thoughts grab me and I torture myself with 'I wish I had done x instead of y'. And I can't sleep, and I feel sick.

How do I control my dreams? I've spent almost 15 years in this recurring nightmare hell and I'm so scared that it will be with me for the rest of my life.

NotAJammyDodger Fri 14-Aug-15 18:29:47

Not sure that you can 'control' your dreams. I find that my unconscious intrudes on my dreams when I get stressed and anxious. Its sounds a little like some kind of PTSD maybe?

Are you able to discuss further with your GP or a therapist - there are different types of therapy and ones that focus on exploring your past (such as the bullying you received) might be better than a CBT approach.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now