Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

'Linden method' or 'panic away' to cure anxiety conditions

(15 Posts)
Bellini12 Thu 28-May-15 11:26:24

Whilst googling about anxiety and how to deal with it, I have come across these 2 courses and wondered if anyone had any experience of them and what their thoughts were.

I'm currently doing CBT which is helping me stop the spiralling thoughts, but I'm intrigued as there are so many testimonials of people who have been 'cured'. A lot if it is a state of mind I realise that. I think the Linden method is about distraction techniques & Panic Away is more about facing up to the panic.

I'd love to think that one day I can beat this crippling condition.

MerdeAlor Thu 28-May-15 20:02:32

Panic away worked for me, almost straight away. I try to use it on the odd occasion I feel anxiety.
I felt totally empowered by the idea of facing up to the anxiety and getting mad with it!

Lweji Thu 28-May-15 20:03:46

Interesting.

How does it work? My dad is prone to anxiety and it might help.

Bellini12 Fri 29-May-15 08:36:13

Thanks merdealor. Would you mind telling me a bit more about Panic away? Was it a book or video that you watched that really got the message across?

I like fact The Linden Method is British though (rather than based in america) and you can go on a workshop/retreat (though I've read mixed reviews).

MerdeAlor Fri 29-May-15 10:05:07

A friend paid and downloaded the panic away method after finding it on line. I believe it cost in the region of £10. She emailed me a copy.

The basic premise is to lose your fear of fear. Being afraid that we might panic starts a vicious cycle of flight or fight that is hard to get out of.

The way to lose your fear is to welcome it - invite it in. Picture it as something outside yourself and talk to it. Remember that panic is only a feeling - an unpleasant one, but one that is not going to harm you.

Come on then panic, bring it on - do your worst.

Get angry at it, challenge it to try its best. You will be stronger and will win.

Once I started inviting the panic to do its worst, I lost my fear of it and that broke the panic loop I was in.

Sounds wierd writing it down, but its incredibly empowering and allows you to take charge of your own mental health. You control it rather than it controlling you.

Hope that is of some help.

tobee Sat 30-May-15 18:36:32

I got the linden method but although it worked to an extent,it was ludicrously expensive for what it was. I was absolutely desperate at the time but felt I'd been a bit of a mug getting it.

Two much cheaper books that worked well for me were "understanding panic attacks, overcoming fear" by Dr Roger Baker and "panic attacks: what they are etc" by Christine Ingram. Also books by Dr David Burns were helpful.

tobee Sat 30-May-15 18:41:05

Ps Dr David Burns is American but the other two are British (or Irish) if I remember correctly.

holmessweetholmes Sat 30-May-15 18:51:45

I've never heard of panic away, but used a similar method sort of spontaneously when I got so sick of my anxiety and panic attacks. It really works. I used to be particularly bad when driving - I would be terrified that I'd have a panic attack and that it would make me pass out or have a heart attack and I'd crash the car. The more I tried to push the panic away, the worse it got.

One day on the motorway on my own I just got so angry with it/myself that I just went 'Oh yeah?! Go on then, do your worst! Bring it on! Give me a bloody heart attack then!' and actually tried to panic myself into an attack. And.... nothing. I felt like I'd won! Invited to do its worst, the panic had no power over me. I actually laughed out loud!

holmessweetholmes Sat 30-May-15 19:00:16

Oh I'd also really really recommend a book called 'The Compassionate Mind ' by Paul Gilbert. It's very helpful in explaining why your mind behaves in these bloody annoying ways. It makes you realise that it's not your fault and it's a natural function of the human brain which we misinterpret and scare ourselves about.

Essentially it's the animal/caveman bits of our brain trying to protect us from danger by putting us into 'fight or flight mode' - sending our adrenaline rocketing up so that we can run away from a predator. Only in our case the 'predator' is just a stressful day, or an uncomfortable conversation, or a bill we are worried about, or whatever. But our poor old caveman brain can't tell the difference. Danger means Run Away or Fight (stress response) or Go And Hide and make yourself small and quiet (depression response).

The book explains it better than me grin. It also has some useful (mental) exercises and meditations if that doesn't sound too weird to you.

holmessweetholmes Sat 30-May-15 19:02:28

Oh sorry - one more thing - yes you can beat it, Bellini12! I did. And with no medication or professional help, although I know those can be helpful for a lot of people.

girliefriend Sat 30-May-15 19:05:39

Panic away sounds a lot like panicking about panic by Josh Fletcher, I read this book when my anxiety was really bad and it helped so much.

Bellini12 Sun 31-May-15 09:45:45

Thanks everyone for your recommendations.

Panic Away is about $70 to download, I think The Linden Method is about £100+ hence I wanted to hear some reviews first as they are so expensive.

I think the Panic Away appeals a little more to me. Seeing panic as something physical that I can tell to bog off! Distractions do help, but my problem is I have a low level anxiety most of the time, its always bubbling away in the background ready to rear its ugly head. The Linden Method is to ignore it which I find really hard, I just can't though I do try.

The thought that it can be beaten fills me with great hope, I've suffered most of my adult life so lots of the feelings are ingrained. I don't want to live my next years like this.

I have tried citalipram as I was desperate, but it was hideous getting on it and though it's only been a few months I realise it's not for me. The side effects are too much for me. It's been hell and IMO detrimental to my health. I want to do this naturally (tho am scared witless of the effects of coming off them). I need all the natural coping techniques possible.

holmessweetholmes Sun 31-May-15 16:54:43

I didn't find that ignoring it helped at all. It felt like I was constantly, in the back of my mind, exerting effort to push it away and ignore it. And that effort causes tension. If you beat it, it goes away. Surely if you just ignore it, it stays there in the background?

Strenuous exercise helped massively with mine. I took up running. The only time I sometimes feel a little bit of the anxiety rearing its head again now is if I have gone for a long while without a run.

tobee Sun 31-May-15 17:27:56

I'm loads better now, mostly through self help and nhs cbt group course. I found mindfulness CDs and guided meditation (free on the Internet). I'm not really new agey but they are very calming and relaxing. If you ignore it it can rear its ugly head at any time. Then I think you can "trip a switch" into a vicious cycle of panic attacks and constant anxiety. I even had panic attacks in my sleep for a time.

I've joined an art group (I'm rubbish at art). It's very good for getting completely involved in something, re-focussing your mind. I've also recently got a puppy which takes up a lot of time training and involves daily going on walks which always makes my mood better even in terrible weather. These fit in with the linden method's idea of distraction. The first thing I tried was using my phone's camera to take close up photos of things like knots in wood, a close up of an eye, things from nature etc.

Bellini12 Thu 04-Jun-15 13:06:35

Yes, I'm told the key is to absorb yourself into something you really enjoy or are passionate about. I do have the odd hobby but I wouldn't say I was passionate.

I'm not working at the moment so need to fill my days.

I find mindfulness really helpful too, it helps me relax so I do it at bedtime then fall asleep.

Any other tips? I'm still finding I feel nervous most of the day for no reason. There are a few things on the horizon I am a bit worried about so trying to not let them get too big.

Funnily my anxiety decreases as the day goes on. But I just want to wake up relaxed for the first time in months sad. That would be an achievement.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now