Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Something is not right

(17 Posts)
Pulledapart Fri 15-May-15 12:13:55

I feel like my mind is shutting down literally!

I can't seem to move off the sofa as I think if I do I will fall as feeling very faint. I have to be somewhere but am feeling scared to venture outdoors sad

I feel weird sad

Mostlyjustaluker Fri 15-May-15 12:19:19

Why do you think this is a mental health issue opposed to a physical one? I ask as I recently thought I have mental health issues with physical manifestations but it turns out it was a physical issues with a little bit of stras that I was dealing well with.

wfrances Fri 15-May-15 12:23:30

hi pulled,
have you started any new meds?
i told my psychiatrist thats how i felt about my brain last week-like its stopped working or only running the bare minimum to keep the basic stuff working- shes arranging memory and cognitive tests next meeting because my brain is not functioning ,everyone is noticing so its not all in my mind.
where do you have to be?

Pulledapart Fri 15-May-15 12:41:43

mostly it's because I have so many mental health issues it's always usually that rather than physical.

wfrances I've stopped some mess recently but not started any new ones.

I feel lost... Maybe I should call my psych!

Pulledapart Fri 15-May-15 15:17:51

Managed to get up to do school run but that's about it. Lost my appetite too (not that it's a bad thing I've been doing too much comfort eating).
wfrances I do feel like it's all in my head so am scared to say something. I don't want to be labeled as being a hypochondriac! At the same time I know something isn't right sad

foolonthehill Fri 15-May-15 15:24:15

A basic medical would check your blood pressure and vital signs...that in itself can be a good thing. Some meds have effects on cortisol (stress hormone) and thyroid hormones...a Gp or practice nurse might check these too depending on your past history.

Often we draw too much distinction between mental and physical health IMO...after all the brain is part of a physical self.

Don't be scared to say something....reaching out will tell you that people care about you, that they believe this is how it is for you right now (even if they can't understand it) and might help to ground you in the world whilst you are feeling strange.

My friend had symptoms like yours with anxious depression but felt they were too strange to tell anyone about....

Pulledapart Fri 15-May-15 18:48:37

Thanks foolonthehill ur right of course about just getting a check up but can I muster the courage to do it I don't know.

I'm just so tired right now I just wanna go to bed. Hopefully DD will have an early night hmm or DH will just have to manage tonight himself.

foolonthehill Fri 15-May-15 22:12:59

let him manage. Look afteryourself.

Plan one tiny thing ti do tomorrow (even just making DH a cup of tea)
tick it off. It will feel better than doing things because you have to.

take care of you

Pulledapart Sat 16-May-15 14:20:48

Thanks foolonthehill that's exactly what I did last night just rested. I think my body needed it. Of course today I was consumed with guilt from last night so have been like a bloody robot today. Washing done and whole house tidied. DF/DM/DD have had breakfast/lunch. Just sat down with a brew whilst DD watches cartoons. DH should be home soon. I've just left the hoovering for him.

I'm exhausted now but at least being busy stopped my brain being frazzled. Just now contemplating whether to go to a birthday party later - not sure I'm going to be me enough IYSWIM.

Pulledapart Sat 16-May-15 17:58:05

Showered DD/myself and ready to go but absolutely bricking it sad

foolonthehill Mon 18-May-15 18:54:22

well done you.

hope you enjoyed, and if not hope you left without guilt

there is a balance to be found...pushing oneself enough to feel ok about yourself, but not overdoing it

(stern look at Op for all housework......)

Just make sure you give yourself credit for what you do...no big sticks to beat yourself up for what you do not!

Pulledapart Tue 19-May-15 13:57:24

Not sure what I'm doing I'm just walking around streets of London aimlessly! Just want to cry but no tears are coming out. I think I'm losing it...

foolonthehill Tue 19-May-15 14:31:03

sounds like you are in depression...can make us feel like nothing is "real" even ourselves.

Do you know where you are? Can you get home ok? Do that. It's better to be at home in safe place if you are feeling odd.

foolonthehill Tue 19-May-15 14:32:24

Not being able to cry feels horrible.

remember you will feel better than this. This is not how it will always be

One step at a time

Pulledapart Tue 19-May-15 14:42:01

I just walked into a cab office and got a cab to my appointment. It's a good thing they rang otherwise I would have just kept walking about. I don't know where I am but at least I know where I will be in 30 mins. I think my psych is going to see me. I feel scared of talking about it all. I don't want to go back to hospital.
I feel like I've let everyone down so badly. I keep getting like this and I have no right.

foolonthehill Tue 19-May-15 14:48:18

good. You are a resourceful person...you have found a way to get to a safe place.

talk sooner rather than later, hopefully that way you can keep out of hospital. be honest. That is the only way they can find a way to support and help you.

you will get through it.

Thinking of you

foolonthehill Tue 19-May-15 14:49:39

You have let no one down.

Ill health is beyond our control..we can find things to help and things that make us worse but at the end of the day so can someone with a bad back,

Just because your mind is ill does not mean you brought it on yourself. none of us do.

It's being poorly.

Nothing more

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now