Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Clomipramine

(5 Posts)
BisleyBoy Sun 03-May-15 13:15:25

Does anyone have any experience of this medication? I was prescribed it by gp on Thursday, only just filled the prescription. I'm a bit wary of taking it because of side effects. How was it for you?

onceipopicantstop Thu 07-May-15 20:31:28

Hi I'm taking clomipramine 150mg, started taking it a year ago. I was worried about the side effects but actually they haven't been too bad. Main ones for me are a dry mouth - but it's not that bad - and sometimes nausea and vomiting. I take the tablets in the evening and have found that certain foods don't mix well with the tablets - mostly sweet or acidic things - chocolate, oranges, grapes for example. If I take the tablets after these foods I often feel extremely nauseous and am sick after which I feel a whole lot better! So have started taking them earlier in the evening with blander foods.
In take them for OCD and my symptoms have really improved since starting them.

BisleyBoy Fri 08-May-15 08:55:01

Thanks for replying. I take it for OCD too. How long before you saw an improvement in symptoms? I've been taking it since Sunday, but I know it's too early to see any change yet. I had some dizziness and lightheadedness in the mornings and felt a bit hung over, but that's passed now.

onceipopicantstop Fri 08-May-15 10:35:40

Difficult to say exactly when i noticed a difference it was more of a gradual change. Perhaps a couple of months? My intrusive thoughts have become less intrusive and easier to ignore. Most noticeable is the change in my anxiety. I was quite unwell before I started them and any trigger would rapidly spiral into dreadful uncontrollable anxiety. Now its much slower so I might have a trigger and be worried but I have time to assess the 'risk' rather than the anxiety just taking over, if that makes sense. I'm not cured but much better and this is the most effective medication I've been on. Hope they help you too.

Kittykat7 Sun 24-May-15 07:50:55

I had a nightmare on the lowest dose of this medication. It gave me flu like symptoms & I was so ill & weak for a week so had to ato taking it. I also tried imipramine & couldn't get on with that either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now