Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

What do you have to do to get help??!

(15 Posts)
nethunsreject Wed 03-Sep-14 19:15:34

I've been suffering with severe depression since March. Been up and down and on waiting list to see psych, on max dose ssri. Things went really bad this weekend, so much so that dh is off to look after me. Emergency appt to gp yesterday, me and dh discussed how bad I am. Don't want inpatient treatment as hospital made me much worse in the past, very traumatic. So gp sent urgent requst for outpatient. Duty can called today - was glad! - but basically I am just on a fecking waiting list, no idea how long, weeks? Months? So fucking useless. Basically down to dh to keep me safe. I am so gutted sad

nethunsreject Wed 03-Sep-14 19:17:36

Cpn not can

nethunsreject Wed 03-Sep-14 19:19:17

I know they are underfunded but all the shit about reach out for help. There is no bloody decent help. Wish I had money and would go to bloody priory or similar

Imsuchamess Wed 03-Sep-14 19:21:57

I know exactly how you feel even when you are in the system help is hard to get. I am often a danger to myself and other and they can't admit me because of a lack of beds it's bloody disgusting. Hope your appointment comes soon.

My sympathies to you. I ended up being admitted earlier this year after being consistently let down by the CCTT and crisis when I tied to get help. I know it doesn't help, but I can really empathise.

I really hope you get help soon xx

nethunsreject Wed 03-Sep-14 19:31:27

Thanks guys, I appreciate the replies

I've had mental health issues for 17 years still not got any help confused good luck though really hope you get help soon

spreadsheeteyes Wed 03-Sep-14 19:37:01

A long time IME. I asked for 2yrs for CBT for severe depression and when I was eventually given it it was a 7 month wait, for a piss poor trainee counsellor (I'd had great ones in the past). So I've given up on it now.

NHS mental health 'care' is dire sad. "There is no bloody decent help" <<< this.

nethunsreject Wed 03-Sep-14 20:58:40

sad. It's crap.

spreadsheeteyes Wed 03-Sep-14 21:34:42

What's ironic is that they spent a fortune investigating my IBS. I had a colposcopy, endoscopy, CT scan, pelvic scan, blood tests and a dietician. At no point did they ration their treatments or say they wouldn't investigate. And at the end of all the tests (2 years down the line) the consultant said I was suffering partly because I was burnt out and depressed, even his final 'diagnosis' wasn't enough to persuade my GP to help me. I had to refuse to budge with a different GP to finally get referred.

The NHS needs to get it's act together and start treating mental illness as well as it treats physical illness.

Have you been in contact with the crisis team? They can help speed up referrals to the CMHT. Did you tell them over the phone how bad you feel? The NHS can be shit about mental health.

Sadly, mental health services are dreadfully underfunded.

How to feel like an underclass? Have a mental health problem instead of a physical health problem.

temporaryusername Wed 03-Sep-14 23:01:24

They can be pretty rubbish with physical stuff too. I agree with everyone though. Nethuns I'm sorry. I'm angry on your behalf for what it's worth nothing really.

angry angryangry
brew cake brew

nethunsreject Thu 04-Sep-14 10:25:27

It is helpful to get the replies, strangely smile. Thank you. I don't feel so alone x

caterpillarrocker Thu 04-Sep-14 11:02:07

I've had MH issues for 20 years but only really got decent consultant care for the past 5 years. But that was partly down to not asking for the right help. I have a CPN, regular meetings with my psych, weekly individual therapy from a psychologist, OT, DLA, ESA in support group, council housing etc. Also have access to other group meetings and activity groups but they don't interest me. Have not had inpatient treatment but I think cases are treated more urgently than outpatient. There definitely is help available but you have to be persistent and not minimise your issues to get a good psych on your side.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now