Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Social and performance anxiety - I thought I was getting better

(1 Post)
brotherhoodofspam Fri 15-Aug-14 08:50:08

If been troubled for many years with performance and social anxiety, particularly eating in other people's houses. At times it's become a more generalised anxiety and I've been on ADs in the past and had counselling which helped. I've been feeling reasonably well of late although do get stressed at certain times, DCs birthdays etc that brings back the same feelings. I've been asked to do a work presentation next week in front of a group of people I don't know. It's a topic I've taught on before but not in this format. Since I found out about it last week I've been feeling sick, not sleeping, struggling to concentrate. It makes me feel anxious about other things going on that wouldn't normally bother me now e.g. a lovely friends asked us round for dinner tonight and I feel ill at the prospect. I'm so annoyed with myself because I thought I was improving but now I feel I'm back to square one. I'm considering phoning in sick on the day of the presentation but know that's just running away. I just don't know how I'm going to get to next week and how I'm going to cope tonight. Sorry this is so long and so trivial compared to what a lot of you are coping with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now