Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Anxiety, feel like there is no light at the end of the tunnel

(5 Posts)
lemonmarmalade Thu 10-Jul-14 19:40:51

Suffering from social anxiety and have been for as long as I can remember, I managed to kinda bury my feelings and just get on with things up up until a year ago when I fell to pieces and left my long term job.

I worked there for over 10 yrs and never made a single friend, I just felt like the weird shy person amongst all my confident colleagues, I don't know how I coped as long as that, I literally just tried (and suceeded) to fade into the background as much as possible.

So over the past year I have tried two different anti d's (sertraline and fluoxetine) horrific side effects with both, I literally couldnt function I felt paralysed with terror and had nausea that had me retching for hours at a time.

About 6 months ago I got a p/t job in a shop, I lasted less than 2 months, because of panic attacks. I've gradually built myself back up again over the last 6 months I've had not working so recently started another new part time job, less than a week in and the anxiety is unbearable again, I've been waking in the early hours with panic attacks.

I saw the gp again and he has prescribed mirtazapine, I am too scared to take it after the side effects last time.

I was referred for therapy a while back and was offered group confidence training, I cannot face group anything.

I feel like my husband is getting fed up with me. I am pretty much okay when my world is kept small I.e. school runs, home, with family. I only have 1/2 friends that I have had from school age, I havent made a single friend in my entire adult life, how pathetic is that.

Sorry for rambling on, I am just sick of being me, too scared to take anti d's, too scared of the therapy on offer, I have tried facing my fears and just fall to pieces. I see no way out of this

shutitweirdo Thu 10-Jul-14 19:52:42

Hang in there. Have you asked about CBT? I had it and it's one to one. It helped me build confidence. I was too scared to take the tablets but the Dr told me I had to trust her and eventually I did and the side affects wear off after a week or two. You could try a positive diary. You only have to write one positive thing per day, which can be I got up. I'm about to try hypnotherapy for my anxiety. Is that maybe an option for you?

lemonmarmalade Thu 10-Jul-14 19:58:16

I'd love to have cbt but it doesnt seem to be offered here, I cant afford to go private. Same for hypnotherapy.

I am really really scared to try the mirtazapine, I felt completely out of control when I tried the others.
I know its a case of trial and error but I need to be able to look after my kids.

I just feel useless and stuck.

Funnyfishface Fri 11-Jul-14 00:20:20

Hi there.
I wanted to let you know that there is light at the end of the tunnel.
I have been where you are now.
And I am 95% better.
I took citalopram - very low doseage for a year without any real success. I started a new job last year and the first day the anxiety went through the roof. I managed to get through the day and went directly to my gp. She switched my tablets to sertraline. I was petrified of trying it. But I felt that I had no choice.
Actually the combination of the anti dep and the job (keeping busy) improved the anxiety.
Don't bother wasting your money on hypnotherapy etc I have tried EVERYTHING there is to try.
Things that worked for me.
Mindfulness - deep breathing exercises, avoiding stressful situations if I can, cbt (fear fighter programme offered on nhs)
Being kind to yourself, learning not to take on to much.

At my worst I couldn't leave the house. I didn't see the point of living. I couldn't see a way out.
This year I am working, travelling abroad, going out.

Honestly you can do it. Good luck. Pm me anytime for advice, or to lend an ear x

lemonmarmalade Fri 11-Jul-14 06:43:31

Thanks for your reply.

I've got a book on mindfulness and the headspace app on my phone and find the meditation amazing when I am relatively calm to begin with, when I am really worked up I just cant get into it, maybe I need more practice.

My last experience of ad's has absolutely terrified me plus I've read that a side effect of mirtazapine is huge weight gain which I could really do without.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now