Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Anxiety all getting a bit much

(11 Posts)
goats Sun 06-Jul-14 23:54:39

I am REALLY struggling . Its all getting a bit much, Its constant thoughts of anxiety from morning to night, I am fed up of feeling scared all the time and of analysing everything that happens every single day.

I feel like I am having a complete breakdown.

I am scared of going to go in case abusive ex tries to use it against me.

goats Sun 06-Jul-14 23:55:21

Gp not go

DevonCiderPunk Mon 07-Jul-14 00:04:32

Hello. Sorry to hear you're passing through a difficult patch. Have you been to GP before?

goats Mon 07-Jul-14 00:09:31

I have , I was given propropanol which made me much much worse.

DevonCiderPunk Mon 07-Jul-14 00:21:29

You don't have to take any drugs unless you want to. And no-one has to know you've been to the GP unless you tell them, or they snoop.

Have you got a local IAPT team (improved access to psychological therapies?) They often take people on without a GP referral.

GourmetGold Mon 07-Jul-14 20:19:02

Sorry, that sounds horrible for yousad

I'd suffered with anxiety for at least 30 years, until 2 months ago, when I had a blood test and was told I had an over active Thyroid. I knew nothing about Thyroid problems...I had no idea that an over active Thyroid could make you feel so bad mentally. And I thought you had to be really skinny to have an over active Thyroid (I'm not!) so would never even have considered that I'd be over active.

2 years ago I was diagnosed with 'Attention Deficit Disorder' and anxiety and prescribed Sertraline..which I didn't take.

I felt constantly anxious and fearful (often shaking with fear)...for a few months a actually became so paranoid, that I thought some new neighbours were spies, spying on me!! sad I didn't tell anyone these thoughts and now I'm glad I didn't, as I could have been misdiagnosed.

I was only diagnosed after getting joint pain (thank you joint pain!!) & having a good doctor who did blood tests for lots of different things (menopause, arthritis, TB etc)...the last thing I thought it would be was my Thyroid. Apparently the doctor was suspicious straight away that it was my Thyroid, when I also mentioned my anxiety & always feeling stressed (plus night sweats, insomnia & going to the toilet for a number 2 a lot).

Anyhow, I've become just a bit 'evangelical' about Thyroid problems now...after reading that some experts believe 50-70% of mental illness could be an undiagnosed Thyroid inbalance.
The problem is that the anxiety and fear feel so real, you are convinced there really is something you are frightened of.
Within 5 minutes of taking my very first Thyroid prescription tablet, I felt relaxed and happy, I couldn't remember when I'd last felt so good. I'm really gutted that no doctor before had ever picked up on my symptoms and I'd suffered for 30 years with this.

Sorry for going on, but might be worth you asking for a test? TSH, T3, T4 & Antibodies are the test names needed to diagnose an over active Thyroid. If they just offer 'TSH' it often comes back normal (mine did) for over active people.
An over active Thyroid can come on slowly or quickly (especially after a traumatic event).

goats Mon 07-Jul-14 21:22:11

Is the joint pain connected? I am under Dr regarding joint pain at moment.

GourmetGold Mon 07-Jul-14 21:28:37

Yes!! Over active Thyroid can certainly cause joint pain. Mine was in my wrists and knuckles and big toes...so bad in my wrists I was wearing a wrist support, as I couldn't hardly pick anything up!
I think it's because your body is working so fast...possibly also because over active Thyroid in many people can be an 'autoimmune' type (mine is), where your immune system is attacking your body..causing inflammation (sorry I'm not an expert, but think that's what I read).

GourmetGold Mon 07-Jul-14 21:30:43

Has your doctor sent you for any blood tests? Inflammation (arthritis) or any other tests?

goats Mon 07-Jul-14 21:36:24

Yes vitamin b12 came back low , had MRI scans To check for MS. Now referred to rheumatology.

GourmetGold Mon 07-Jul-14 22:26:57

If you have one autoimmune disease, like Arthritis, you can often have other ones, such as over active Thyroid...def ask your doctor to do Thyroid tests!
Not all doctors are familiar with Thyroid symptoms, here are some symptoms (you don't need to have them all or even many of them):-

anxiety
panic attacks
paranoia
depression
nightmares
difficulty concentrating
feeling tired 'worn out'
hand tremor
racing pulse
heart palpitations
aching joints & muscles
sweating/feeling too warm, even in cold weather (sometimes just at night)..I had night sweats, but cold hands & feet in day time!
blotchy skin
swollen ankles
itchy skin
bulging eyes
eyes sensitive to light
going to the toilet a lot (for poo)
diarrhea
tinnitus
swelling in neck/swollen neck
weight loss (not every one..I gained weight as overeating through the anxiety)
thinning hair & hair loss
outer third of eyebrows disappear

..phew! There's probably more :D

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now