Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

PND. Second day on Peroxetine. It gets better right?

(9 Posts)
ruskonmyleggings Fri 04-Jul-14 08:33:47

I have finally come to terms with the fact I have PND and taken myself to the gp. Been prescribed Peroxetine. It's making me feel sick, like morning sickness sick. Please tell me this passes. I'd rather just be depressed than sick and depressed. Also it says I can't drink alcohol. I'm not planning to get rat arsed but going on a much needed holiday next week and would love a little glass of wine with dinner to relax and enjoy. Should that be okay? TIA

DaddyBeer Fri 04-Jul-14 21:32:55

My experience - first the good: you can have a few drinks on paroxetine. Drug companies advise you shouldn't. Partly they're covering themselves. But partly it's also sensible advice. Remember, alcohol is a depressant. You wouldn't go running then smoke fags and expect to make a great time in a 10k. Bear that in mind!

The nausea will pass. You may also feel tired. This will also pass, but it may take a while, if you do feel tired. Anti-depressants of the SSRI group can take up to two months to really take effect and settle down. But that's not to say you won't feel benefit sooner than that. It was my experience that it was only after looking back over several months I could see how far I'd come. Your mileage may vary, though.

They can take some persistence and GPs don't always tell you this.

Really hope they work for you.

Bitsnbobs78 Sat 05-Jul-14 08:50:08

I found Paroxatine (Seroxat) had horrendous side effects on me. I have just gone back onto Citalopram which although is still an SSRI it does not cause as many side effects.

ruskonmyleggings Sat 05-Jul-14 22:04:38

I'm not feeling too sick today. The gp gave me these as I'm breastfeeding and these are safe

DaddyBeer Sun 06-Jul-14 00:58:50

As Bits says, you can always change if you feel they're not working for you. But you do need to give them a fair chance.

KeepAbreast Sun 06-Jul-14 01:08:39

Keep an eye on your weight. I resisted taking paroxetine until I basically had no choice because of the stories of weight gain I'd read. My weight remained steady for about six months, then all of a sudden gained about three stone over three months. I've come off them now because of this. My mood is worsening again but I was overweight to start with, so really can't be gaining weight like that.

Apparently it's something to do with how it affects the metabolism

KeepAbreast Sun 06-Jul-14 01:11:18

Posted too soon - but it also made me crave sugar like you wouldnt believe. And if I didnt get it pretty much constantly I'd feel sick, dizzy, clammy, moody as if I was starving. So while the doctor was telling me just to eat better, in practice it was very very difficult to do so if I wanted to be able to function.

KeepAbreast Sun 06-Jul-14 01:18:03

HOWEVER - It did help my depression and anxiety, and I feel it made me a better parent, which is what I hoped for when I gave in and started taking it in the first place.

And with regards to alcohol, I found that while I was on it, I didnt get so much as a whiff of a hangover, even after drinking a LOT. I didnt find I got drunk faster or it made me sleepy or anything, quite the opposite in fact. But, I did on a couple of occasions wake up with no recollection of big chunks of the evening, which was quite unsettling as I'd never experienced it before.

ruskonmyleggings Wed 09-Jul-14 02:03:41

Thank you for the advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now