Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Any anxious obsessives out there ?

(79 Posts)

I think I might be a bit, I don't know, a bit overly anxious and obsessive.

This have come to ahead recently, I went for a night out and can't remember bits, I am filling my head with all sorts of things I might have said and done. None of them that logical, but I feel really anxious about it. I have spoken to a friend who said I was fine, spoken to loads of people afterwards who haven't said I was out of line, but my body doesn't seem to react to logical thinking.

I have always been like this, over thinking everything, obsessing about it and working it over in my mind till my heart is pounding and my head is knotted. I over think everything that most people wouldn't give a second thought.

What can I do ? I know I could see a GP, what would they say ?
Is anyone else like this ?

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 13-Jun-14 21:47:28

No,I was having a good day when I went, we just talked about how I feel on a bad day and a good day. Tbh I felt very delicate yesterday and teary BUT really relieved and I slept amazingly.

Ah actually dp has been going on about putting me on his, it's just something we haven't got round to doing.

Will cbt still work if I am not going through an overly anxious phase ? I always over think things but not to the extent I have recently and the anxiety is sometimes ok. Do I have to wait till I am in a bit of a mess or is it ok to go when things have calmed down.

How are you feeling today ?

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 12-Jun-14 23:29:39

No, the waiting list is 6 months with gp but might be shorter elsewhere. Luckily we have private health insurance through Dh's work.

Hi Dave <waves>

Dame I am so glad things are looking up. How did you access it ? Through your GP ?

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 12-Jun-14 13:48:47

Hello Davesmile

Well,I had my appt this morning and bawled through the entire hourhmm she was lovely though and very helpful and although I was tearful I now feel greatly relieved I have a 'plan' in place. Seeing her again next week. If anyone's dithering about going, just go, if you REALLY don't like it, you don't have to go again.

Davesview Wed 11-Jun-14 11:56:40

Yes I am have suffered with anxiety of some form or other all my life, think it is in the genes, diazepam helps best although effect is temporary & addiction is easy (been taking it @ least 25 years though) probably tried every a/d going have Effexor now also have depression ( I think I was born depressed - my first words @ birth were probably put me back) so I have ocd ...........only positive is I am not as aggressive as I used to be like always falling out with ppl Oh & I have never been able to make friends........that inner fear that I hide well probably stems from childhood & having BAD TEMPERED scary father.............to summarise Im a total nut job but if anyone can bear to chat with me Id really appreciate it ;-)

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 10-Jun-14 19:21:57

When I was at my most anxious I had a Walkman (long time ago) with audio book cassettes do if I woke up I just plugged myself in straight away and listened to a story. It really helped. It was my sister's idea, Mel Gibson reading My Cousin Rachel was fab in the middle of an anxious nightwink

I'm getting a bit twitchy about Thursday in case I cry, which I probably willhmm

Actually what I am most anxious about now is the anxiety, I am not so bad with the spiraling thoughts, but I still get waves of the physical feeling of it and it scares me, I don't like it and dread it coming.
A bit like when your little and you know your gong to be sick and try to fight it.

Oh sorry I forgot, best of luck for Thursday Dame I hope you start to feel better soon.

I got most of the test results back, so far so normal. Thyroid is normal, so it looks like it's anxiety causing my anxiety rather than anything else.
I am <touches wood> starting to feel better, despite waking up in full blown panic mode this morning. I am getting better at not letting my thoughts spiral and feel like I can function in normal life when I am feeling anxious.
I have got some rescue remedy and kalms, I have also got nytol to help me sleep, I think I go to sleep being scared of waking up anxious which isn't helping. So hope they will help me sleep through.
I have to wait for the rest of the results to come through and see where we go from there.

Yes up you did, I meant to get some today and forgot. I will get some though, lots of people have said it helps. I think I heard that the emergency services carry it to help with shock.
I find people hard work too, I am ok when I am there but get nervous and anxious about meeting up with people, even people I am really close to.
Good luck for Thursday, I hope it goes well for you.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 06-Jun-14 20:56:04

I only have two friends that I can be completely relaxed around tbh, everyone else I find hard work even though I love themconfused

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 06-Jun-14 20:53:18

Oh God I know what you mean,I went out recently with a group of really good friends plus one woman that I didn't know at all-I obsessed about EVERYTHING from what I was going to wear to what I'd talk about with this new person. It was ridiculous as she was utterly lovely but I am still thinking about ithmm

Therapy starts Thursdaysmile

Glad you're able to talk yourself down. Did I mention rescue remedy? It really helps me when I get a bit 'hyperventilaty.'I don't care if it's a placebowink

Ok thanks, thank you for asking.
Better than I was, but still anxious. I have good and bad times in the day. More good than bad though and I am able to talk myself down. Onwards and upwards. smile
I am still obsessing about this bloody stupid night out, I wish I hadn't gone and it's silly, such a silly thing to be worried about. I have spoken to so many people who have said I was great fun, I didn't make a fool of myself or upset anyone, I didn't argue with anyone. Etc etc but some how I find myself worrying about what I might have done, what repercussions might be, what people are really saying about me.
I have always worried about upsetting people though, always. I have always worried about coming across as an arse or people thinking bad of me.
When I get anxious and obsess about something, it's usually about that.
I think I need to sort that out tbh, if it's sort outable grin

How are you doing Dame ?
Hove you started therapy yet ?

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 06-Jun-14 20:23:12

How are you feeling snark?smile

Thanks, it feels good to take that first step. I am headed in the right direction.

twentyten Wed 04-Jun-14 15:47:20

Well done!! First step- glad he was helpfulthanks

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 04-Jun-14 14:04:20

Cross postgrin

Glad it went well, good that he's so thorough x

Thanks, it went really well actually, he was really nice and sympathetic. He want to do some tests to see if it is my thyroid as anxiety is a common symptom of that and go from there. He says it won't take long to get the results and he would rather make sure he knows what he is treating.
Tests are tomorrow morning so should get the results early next week.
Feel a lot better for talking about it with him.
thanks to everyone for your kind worlds and support. It really means a lot thank you.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 04-Jun-14 14:03:11

Hope your appt went ok OP? x

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 04-Jun-14 10:53:39

Tell the GP exactly what you have said on this thread. Good luck thanks

Ahhhh, I am really nervous. Got a gp appointment today, just about to go now. I did have one for the 9th but I feel too crap to wait.
Keep on having loads of anxious spiraling thoughts, when I step away from it it all seems so silly but I really can't keep on top of it.

SirChenjin Mon 02-Jun-14 13:18:28

Sometimes hiding in the loo is the only way, isn't it? grin I'm glad it was of help, and hope you feel better soon.

Actually wow, I feel quite calm and ...fine. I hid in the loo and watched it on my phone while the dts ate breakfast, was feeling a bit niggly and anxious and feel good now.

Thanks just had a go, yes it seems to help. Will keep on going with it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now