Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

anti depressant help and advise please

(8 Posts)
rustyB Sun 11-May-14 11:11:30

Hi, I've been suffering with some depression and anxiety for about 6 months now. I suffered about 10 years ago but powered through (im a man) as I felt weak for even feeling that way.

any way, some relationship problems seem to have brought it all back. almost as if it had never gone. I have good and bad days but now I'm questioning everything in my life. Hating my job particularly. driving to work makes me very tearful. absolutely no idea why.

anyway. how do the anti depressants work? do they stop your negative thoughts, feelings of sadness and being low. I need to snap out of it. hate these intrusive thoughts.

please help and give me your experiences. so scared about taking them for some reason.

russ

Dwerf Sun 11-May-14 11:22:58

They don't give you happy thoughts, what they do is more like a disconnection. I use the gas and air analogy - that entonox doesn't actually stop pain, it just shifts you to somewhere above it. Same with anti-depressants, they tend to disconnect you from your emotions so that your brain can have a break from all the negative shite. Like taking anti-inflammatories for a sprained joint, you get less pain whilst you're healing. I think they are a tool to use in the fight against depression/anxiety rather than a whole cure.

fluffybunnies246 Sun 11-May-14 13:08:24

His russ have you tried going for counselling? And have you spoken to your GP?

rustyB Sun 11-May-14 13:35:45

I've just started counselling. this week will be my 3rd week. don't really know how it will help. ��sad

Just need a bit of help. the relationship issues are the main cause and we are 'giving it a go'. we have 2 young kids 5 & 3 and it just seems like I'm going to lose everything. ��

daisydalrymple Sun 11-May-14 13:52:11

The ADs will re-build up the levels of happy chemicals in your brain that become depleted when stressed/depressed. The advice is to stay on ADs for a few months AFTER you start to feel better again. First you need to get the levels back up then, whilst you're hopefully dealing with the causes of the stress your body needs to be regularly topping up again. (The mistake people often make is to come off them as soon as they feel better, then they slump again.)

The Royal College of Psychiatrists used to have some really useful informative leaflets on depression, anti-depressants etc. on their website, if you want a quick read without trawling through millions of google results.

daisydalrymple Sun 11-May-14 13:57:37
rustyB Sun 11-May-14 19:17:33

Thank you. think it's a mixture of heartbreak, depression and anxiety.

time will heal. Just fed up of living it at the mo. daisy. that's a lot of help and I like your explanation. thank you.

daisydalrymple Sun 11-May-14 19:44:05

I hope you start to feel better soon, and you're right, time will heal. Especially if you're having help along the way. Been there myself, things will get better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now