Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Best timing for taking Propranolol

(6 Posts)
offtoseethewizard64 Wed 07-May-14 09:24:09

Recently had a panic attack whilst driving on motorway (not something I have to do very often as no motorways where we live) but this has lead to me being extremely anxious about getting behind the wheel of the car at all now even though I have been driving safely for many years. I think I am just panicking about having a panic attack now, rather than actually having a panic attack - if you see what I mean.
GP has prescribed low dose of Propranolol to take up to twice a day when needed. Was told to take 1/2 hr before driving, but when I did this I don't think it had kicked in and I read on here - and another forum that people take theirs anything from 1 - 2 hrs before the event which they know will make them anxious.
My question to anyone who is taking this drug 'ad hoc' like this is, what is the best time to take it and how long does it last? - as today I need to drive somewhere, and will be there for 2 hrs before I need to drive back. If I take Propanolol 1 hr before I leave home, will it still be effective 4 hrs later when I am leaving to return home?

HoleySocksBatman Wed 07-May-14 16:30:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HoleySocksBatman Wed 07-May-14 16:31:43

HoleySocksBatman Wed 07-May-14 16:33:20

offtoseethewizard64 Wed 07-May-14 19:09:03

Thanks holeysocks. I took 20mg 1 hr before going out and was OK returning home - although not perfect. I have a trip tomorrow where I will be out for 8 hrs, so I will take the tablets with me and take some more before returning home, I think.

HoleySocksBatman Wed 07-May-14 19:13:29

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now