Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

How to go about finding private therapy.

(8 Posts)
BagOfBags Tue 25-Mar-14 11:49:08

I don't want to go into the details but how would one go about finding some kind of private talking therapy? Is there some way of checking that they're properly qualified?
Thanks

ButEmilylovedhim Tue 25-Mar-14 11:58:43

I found a really good therapist on the BACP website. They are all properly trained and qualified on there. Hope you find someone helpful. Best of luck!

SilverStars Tue 25-Mar-14 12:06:46

Websites or word of mouthy recommendation.

If you email or phone them you can ask who they are accredited with, what their qualifications are, how long they have worked and about their supervision.

BagOfBags Tue 25-Mar-14 14:14:46

Thanks so much.
I've just contacted someone from BACP site. smile

ButEmilylovedhim Tue 25-Mar-14 16:54:47

That's great! smile

Tigglette Tue 25-Mar-14 21:43:23

Yep, the BACP website is a good place to start - I found my counsellor on there and she's excellent. Do pay attention to what they say about themselves and this will help you get a sense of the kind of person they are - which does make a difference in terms of your work. I've had counsellors that I've struggled to connect with and can usually tell the type from the way they describe themselves.

Millie2013 Wed 26-Mar-14 01:56:36

Bacp or UKCP smile

cupcake78 Wed 26-Mar-14 02:15:02

Counselling directory has loads and checks qualifications and professional membership before allowing them to join!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now