Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Been referred to AMHT following panic attack

(21 Posts)
CoilRegret Mon 24-Mar-14 17:20:01

Will try to be brief, it's been an odd few weeks...

I've recently come out of hospital having finally been diagnosed with PID and having had my (copper) coil removed,
I've felt pretty awful the last 4 years it's been in.
I wanted to take it out earlier, but DH not got found to booking vasectomy he promised 8 years ago.

I've felt ill the while time. Awful sinus issues, cramps, back pain so bad I sometimes couldn't move. Would have pulled the thing out myself if I could have caught the strings ;)

So, following some awful hospital experiences, including excruciatingly painful canulas which I refused but they put in anyway, and little sleep as an inpatient, I came home with a small wheelbarrow of pills.

The month or two before unsympathetic gp had prescribed 10mg amytrip to help facial pain and aid sleep. Felt awful for 6 days, he continued to be unsympathetic and told me to be a good girl and take my pills or go away & stop taking then. I kept going and started to feel better.

Currently no longer take a daily antihistamine or steroid nasal spray, & libido gone though the roof (I rather like this bit!).

Antibiotics made me feel awful, & discharge prescription messed up so ended up back at gp 10 hours after to have it corrected. He refused, denied liquid was available, & when I came back with wrong prescription again, told me it was costing the surgery too much money.

Refused after a week to take further meds, as couldn't cope with sickness & made formal complaint about gp as he keeps calling me out if hours, and won't take no for an answer. Now has started writing to me & that set off the panic attack.

2 other gps from practise now tell me I'm unreasonable, and have referred me to mental health

SnowyMouse Mon 24-Mar-14 18:43:18

Do you know what they've referred to mental health services for? It sounds like you've been through a lot, hugs sad

CoilRegret Mon 24-Mar-14 18:46:12

Yup, for being unreasonable & irrational about sodding GP.

Apparently making a formal complaint & having a panic attack about him ignoring my wishes to leave me alone makes me unreasonable.

Oh, and I bought a car. Slight impulse purchase, I admit, but I can afford it & wanted to treat myself after a bad few weeks.

Also taken up chain smoking, as I'm a little stressed wink. And refusing medication that makes me feel more ill. I'd done two weeks and couldn't manage a third.

SilverStars Mon 24-Mar-14 22:36:24

Is there another gp practice you could join?

A referral to a mental health team is just for assessment. You can go to the assessment and say you did not request it and then give them all the evidence of how the gp has treated you - ESP the phoning you and writing to you. You can take copies of your phone bill itemised if possible and of your written correspondence

Another thing you can do if you have concrete evidence about gp behaviour and amount of contact is to complain to PALS.

Personally I would change gp practice!!

And if you can afford a new car, being kind to you and treating you is your choice!!

CoilRegret Tue 25-Mar-14 07:56:24

I did agree to assessment as foolishly at the time believed the two gps in my home that I was being unreasonable about a few things. On reflection, I don't, but am happy to be assessed if that's what it takes to prove he's not fit to be a GP.

I will get onto phone company for records. Letter was destroyed by ambulance service at my request, when they came out to me during the panic attack. I didn't want to read it, just seeing the GPS name and signature in my home was enough to cause me to hyperventilate.

I live in a tiny place where there is only one gps practice. Will have to see if I can transfer to another county, where next nearest is, or drive a long way to the next town in county.

I am not generally unreasonable. I'm just very very annoyed, with quite a few things in this tiny town. Having moved from a city, I find it very inward looking and backward. Maybe I am unreasonable for expecting better from the countryside. ;)

SilverStars Tue 25-Mar-14 09:58:49

I doubt countryside is necessarily any better, certainly gp practices vary but you should be able to change.

You may not have the letter that was destroyed but it will be on your records which you are entitled to. There may be an admin cost, especially if gp practice knows why you want another copy of things.

An assessment will probably be whether you have a mental health diagnosis and whether you are a risk to yourself of others. Risk assessment is a big thing, also known as safe guarding. The mental health team will probably not use those words but just to let you know. And it is very hard to challenge mental health records. They can affect life insurances etc so if you genuinely do not have a mental health diagnosis it is worth finding out what is recorded.

CoilRegret Tue 25-Mar-14 10:06:51

Hmmm. So I shouldn't go? I'm being assessed by two people apparently. So, one plus a witness...

I don't believe in life insurance. Generally don't believe in insurance. You pay money when things are good, so they won't pay out when things are bad. I have bitter experience of this, in my work life, and insure when I am legally obliged to only.

I do have a dysfunctional mother, and maybe it would be good to talk to someone about her. But since we are NC, by my choice, for over 10 years (20 if I don't count court cases which sadly involved her) I no longer allow her to sully my life or that of my children.

Perhaps private counselling is the way forward?

I do not believe I am depressed, difficult, unreasonable or a danger to anyone. Neither does my husband. I am stressed, yes, due to work issues which I am working through. And needing a new GP grin

CoilRegret Tue 25-Mar-14 10:08:10

BTW, thanks SilverStars

SilverStars Tue 25-Mar-14 12:04:47

It is normal to be assessed by 2 people. And you have a right to go and ask for counselling on the NHS but may find that the people assessing you ask you to use the talking therapies available through gp. The MH services deal with people with severe MH illness usually and those with higher risks so it is up to them to assess you. It is normal for 2 people to do an initial assessment, not as a witness but standard practice in many areas.

The NHS can offer short term counselling - usually 6-8 session however not always a choice of type of counselling offered and usually cbt is one option, which will not usually allow people to discuss things you mention. So worth telling them what your issues are, ask for what you want.

Usually if taken on by a MH team you get allocated a psychiatrist to oversee medication and either a nurse/SW/OT to see you. They usually carry out the treatment, at least initially.

SilverStars Tue 25-Mar-14 12:05:25

Oh - new gp sounds ideal :-)

CoilRegret Tue 25-Mar-14 12:11:57

Have cancelled my appointment, & reason given that I need a new GP, having made a formal complaint about mine, not a MH assessment (though feel he may need one wink )

Will go private for counselling. Don't trust GPS all that much at the moment.

Thanks for helping me see the shit in the woods the wood for the trees

SilverStars Tue 25-Mar-14 12:24:34

Private counselling sounds a good option, as the NHS can be great but has long waits usually and is time limited and cannot choose who you see. Also no notes on NHS files etc. also can find someone you can work with - for as long as you choose/can afford.

CoilRegret Tue 25-Mar-14 12:29:20

Thank you.

CoilRegret Wed 26-Mar-14 20:57:09

We'll it's been a mixed day.

Tried to change GPs, and was rejected by 3 surgeries before having to choose the other practice in the same building as current GP. I live in too small a place with only one building serving our catchment. Atleast the same building contains 2 practices. But I have to see awful GP in waiting room every time, and just walking into the surgery made me panic.

Booked private counsellor and seeing her on Tuesday. And probably every week thereafter ;)

Reported GP to police, & they are coming round for 2 hours tomorrow to take a statement from me. If I say no, I mean no, so don't call me. angry

SnowyMouse Wed 26-Mar-14 21:07:22

It sounds like you're getting some support in place, good luck.

SilverStars Wed 26-Mar-14 21:20:59

Hi if you contact Pals and tell them you are complaining to police about the gp and the trauma of seeing him they may be able to sort you out a place with one that currently has rejected you. Worth an ask.

Can you get your phone company to get phone details as evidence for police? At least police can request copy of letter ambulance tore up for you. Well before he deletes it anyway I hope! Worth maybe telling them about evidence they can get hold of? And the ambulance at least can tell them they destroyed said letter.

Glad you got a quick appointment booked.

CoilRegret Thu 27-Mar-14 09:04:10

I've already registered with other practice in same building, as they were the only ones who would take me until guidelines change in October. I need to see a GP about ongoing health issues, and soon, so had no choice.

I will authorise the police to ask my phone co for records. I know they can do this, as I've been harassed before. Seems I attract men with a Napoleon complex ;(. I don't need another in my life, having just got rid of one who harassed me for 8 years. And they too can get gps letter, and speak to ambulance service.

I doubt they will do much other than contact him and his practice manager, but atleast I have an incident/crime reference number number if he tries to contact me again. He lives in the same small town, and I refuse to move again.

I just feel so let down by doctors. I genuinely thought that the two other gps were trying to help me, but came to the realisation soon after their visit that they were trying to convince me to withdraw my complaint, and have me assessed by AMHT if I didn't.

I know my reaction to his calls was strong, & I know why, past experience, but that doesn't devalue my feelings to his unwarranted calls & letters.

SilverStars Thu 27-Mar-14 21:09:19

Although not nice, you have good insight so have been able to protect yourself. Once armed as you say with a crime number the dr's will be very stupid to hassle you anymore - as any contact whatsoever you will report each time.

Good guidelines changing soon.

CoilRegret Tue 01-Apr-14 17:21:19

So, saw the counsellor & she was nice.
I have homework.
She doesn't think I'm crazy smile
And doesn't want to see me that much either, doesn't think I need to.

Saw new GP who was also nice. Back on antibiotics for another week, and being booked for another scan. Unfortunately none of my notes have been transferred yet, so need to find letters from hospital and take them in before everything shuts for Easter.

Feeling slightly better, apart from pain in ovaries, sore boobs, and having to start taking more pills again.

SilverStars Tue 01-Apr-14 19:20:23

That sounds so positive. And to be told you do not even need many sessions puts things into perspective doesn't it?!

A nice and proactive gp also sounds helpful. I am sure dealing with the physical issues will really help as well. Hard to be positive when in pain and stressed about illness.

CoilRegret Wed 02-Apr-14 13:52:35

Yes. Thank you.
I am feeling better. Apart from being ill ;)

Now just need to find my notes...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now