Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Fed up with Quitiepine.

(13 Posts)
BeerHunter Fri 04-Apr-14 18:01:08

Glad to hear it.

Have you got a long wait before your next Psych appointment?

I don't want to come across as patronising but if you do start noticing a change in your mood, then please do contact your G.P as soon as possible.

Gorja Fri 04-Apr-14 12:28:38

Touch wood have no withdrawal effects so thinking of reducing it again at the weekend.

Thanks for asking.

BeerHunter Thu 03-Apr-14 20:02:39

How is it going?

Gorja Wed 02-Apr-14 14:53:42

I have seen the gp who had spoken to the psychiatrist. He suggested a decreasing dose of 15 mg every two weeks. Now I am prescribed 600 mg a day so this would take forever!

Halved the dose last night and took 300mg and feel ok. Shall stick with this for a week then half it again.

The side effects for me are feeling constantly tired, sleeping in excess of twelve hours a night, weight gain, dry mouth, heavy legs and generally feeling disconnected with life. I am also on lamotrogine so will continue to take that and just keep my fingers crossed my bipolar remains stable.

Khalessi Tue 01-Apr-14 22:19:06

I'm sorry to hear it's tough for you. Quetiapine worked great at keeping me stable but I got fed up of the weight gain and tiredness. I came off it quickly but immediately stArted abilify which isn't so sedating for me.

TheGrassIsSinging Tue 01-Apr-14 21:49:25

I hated quetiapine. It slurred my speech, made me extremely fatigued and gave me horrendous nightmares and sleep paralysis.

I came off it abrutly myself, as I couldnt get a psych appt for 4 weeks and couldnt stand taking it any longer. The withdrawal was unpleasant, but better than the effects I suffered while taking it. They werent really psyhcological/emotional, more physical. I felt shivery, like I had a temperature and was coming down with something. Lasted about 5-6 weeks.

IloveJudgeJudy Tue 01-Apr-14 21:43:36

Hi. My DD is just about to be prescribe quitiepine as she is coming off fluoxetine.
What are the side effects you are talking about, please?
She is coming off fluoxetine by taking a tablet every other day atm (doctor orders) and then, I think, one whole week with nothing, then starting on quitiepine.

Gorja Tue 01-Apr-14 16:14:38

The side effects are really getting to me beerhunter. It really is not a nice medication to take.
Just want to co e off it with minimal side effects.

BeerHunter Fri 28-Mar-14 20:42:40

Why do you want to stop taking it?

Gorja Wed 26-Mar-14 17:05:20

I have tried cold turkey but felt too bad with the withdrawal.
Am waiting on a psych appointment as my gp wouldn't agree to a reducing regime. Just wish I'd never started taking it it he first place.

mansize Wed 26-Mar-14 12:47:14

I came off it. I won't lie - it was horrendous. I did it without the doctor's supervision and just gradually weaned myself off 300mg. I do not recommend this, but I couldn't afford the prescriptions for smaller tablets at the time. I'd been taking it for six years.

I had terrible headaches, lost my appetite and felt sick. I couldn't sleep much either. It's notoriously difficult to come off.

But it was worth it. After a month or so I felt fine and I no longer had to deal with the side effects that came with it. I now take lithium and lamotrigine instead which give me very few side effects in comparison.

If you are coming off it (with your doctor's supervision!), my advice would be to stick with it. The withdrawal symptoms will pass eventually.

Had quite a lot of side effects coming off, but they do fizzle out. Did you come off gradually or cold turkey?

Gorja Sat 22-Mar-14 18:55:41

Hi all,

Has anybody got any experience coming off quitiepine? I am fed up of the side effects but have tried to stop and it made me feel terrible, insomnia, anxiety, headaches etc etc.

Has anybody successfully come off it? I am waiting an appointment to see my psychiatrist but was just interested in other people's experiences.

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now