Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Am I just expecting too much?

(4 Posts)
gamerchick Mon 17-Mar-14 23:46:11

Excuse the typos.. phones got a mind of its own.

gamerchick Mon 17-Mar-14 23:45:08

40mg *

gamerchick Mon 17-Mar-14 23:44:43

It's a horrible thing.. you have all of my sympathies.

I couldn't get on with the amitriptyline... even 10mg to felt like I was dragging my head across the floor in the morning. I do take 3 separate doses 4mg beta blockers though.

They don't stop what's going on in your head.. just the bodies physical response to the adrenaline. There a tool to help you cope better but not take it away and make you feel normal again.

Do you have a list of stuff to do that helps you relax/feel good? I find that helps when I need a bit of a time out.

MyHeartache Mon 17-Mar-14 13:14:52

Over the last two years I've been dealing with a lot of stress and worry in my life. I dealt with it all by just pushing it to the back of my mind and plastering on a 'normal face' to the world.

But 2 months ago I finally cracked and couldn't pretend I was okay any longer. I kept experiencing waves of anxiety and I felt a constant 'sinking sensation', I had to force myself to make normal conversation with my family. I felt broken and very vulnerable.

Spoke to my GP and they started me on 25mg of amitriptyline (I can't use SSRI's) and 80mg of beta blockers. At first it really helped and I felt much better and brighter. But that seemed to wear off, so my GP increased my dose to 50mg nearly a week ago.

So I've now been on these tablets for nearly 6 weeks and I really had hoped I would feel back to normal by now? I seem to have a few 'good' days, but then have days where I feel really anxious again, and have to fight that 'sinking sensation' and it's like I've never taken ADs at all sad

Last night I couldn't get off to sleep because I felt bad, and only managed about 2 hours of broken sleep.This happened last week, too. I just want to feel consistently 'normal' again, but when will that be? I don't really know from one day to the next how I will feel, and it's so hard to plan things.

When will I feel 'normal' for most of the time?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now