Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Anxiety is through the roof today :(

(4 Posts)
needaholidaynow Mon 17-Mar-14 09:16:23

I feel sick and nervous and the thought of going out today fills me with dread sad I am supposed to be visiting nursery with DS1 this afternoon and I just can't face it. I feel like such a terrible mum sad The housework needs doing and I have not got the motivation. I just want to curl up in a ball. I also need to phone work today and I feel like I will end up having a panic attack.

I am anxious about everything all the time.

I just want these feelings to end sad

Rooners Mon 17-Mar-14 09:22:39

Sorry you're feeling so bad flowers

I suffer with anxiety quite badly on and off and one pattern I have noticed is if I have too much caffeine (or basically any caffeine!) it makes it a hundred zillion times worse.

Might be something worth a try if you haven't already? Tea (not decaf), coffee, cola, chocolate all have an effect on me and I can get quite irrational.

Also I had some CBT for a while, a few years ago and it taught me some great ways of dealing with it. Is that maybe something you could ask to go on the waiting list for? May be some tips online as well.

I know you just need to get through today so please ignore me if I'm not much help - but I know where you are at, and it's awful, and I wanted to let you know you can get past it xxx

needaholidaynow Mon 17-Mar-14 09:32:14

Thankyou Rooners

My GP has put me on the waiting list for CBT, so I think once that gets going it will really help me. As for caffiene, you make a really good point there. I tend to feel the same as you when I have caffiene.

I'm sorry you've been the same sad It's horrible isn't it? I hope you're feeling ok today x

Rooners Mon 17-Mar-14 09:47:01

I'm not too bad at the moment, thank you for asking - it got bad again briefly last week and I had to talk myself down, and was amazed at how well the CBT techniques worked.

I was so cynical about CBT at first but it makes a lot of sense. It's kind of about working with your mind and your body and recognising that panic is kind of a self-propagating thing, ie the more you focus on it, the worse it gets so you have to try and ignore it. Then it goes away.

You're not allowed to check if it's gone though grin as that will make it start again - but once you have managed it in this way a few times it really becomes second nature.

I could not have done it without stopping caffeine though. That makes a huge difference. Glad you are onto it already.

I hope you get through today Ok. Try and remember it isn't your fault you feel like this. And it is very common. Thinking of you x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now