Note: Mumsnet has not checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk, so this is not necessarily the best place to seek help if you're feeling seriously distressed or suicidal. Mumsnet cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice and support.

Starting sertraline - best time to take and side effects

(8 Posts)
kazzawazzawoo Sun 16-Mar-14 23:07:09

I've been prescribed sertraline for anxiety and depression. I've put off taking them for a month as I'm scared of the side effects (I suffer with emetaphobia and health anxiety).

Could anyone tell me the best time to take them? I've seen lots of threads about them, some say they cause drowsiness, some say they can't sleep on them!

Also what are the side effects? My gp said nausea and vomiting, but when I pointed out I have emetaphobia she backtracked quickly, saying I'd be fine.

If I have the side effects can I stop taking them straight away and will the side effects go quickly?

Notsoblonde Sun 16-Mar-14 23:11:40

I take mine first thing in the morning, I had side effects for the first 10 days, just generally felt a bit jumpy, also very tired and a bit of nausea, but the difference sertraline has made to me it has been worth it, I was able to function normally, it didn't stop me doing anything, good luck smile

kazzawazzawoo Mon 17-Mar-14 00:01:28

Thanks. For me, the nausea wouldn't make it worth it hmmhmm I would go to pieces.

Donki Mon 17-Mar-14 00:13:17

I've just started taking citalopram. The GP had prescribed ADs twice before and I only took them for a few days because of horrendous side effects (I really don't cope well with nausea, plus other problems).

A new GP has prescribed them, but this time starting with a really low dose and giving my body chance to adjust before increasing the dose.
So far this strategy seems to be working.

Notsoblonde Mon 17-Mar-14 07:56:52

I was never sick, just felt queasy at times, I too suffer health anxiety and feel the sertraline has helped me so much, I feel like the person I was before, you may not have any side effects.

BluBurd Mon 17-Mar-14 08:05:04

I have never been sick with sertraline either. I did have nausea but only for a few days.

Honestly OP, I can't tell you how much I hate taking tablets. I'd give anything to be the woman I was before this anxiety and depression struck. But even so, I'd advise you to take the tablets, stick with them. The side effects will go. Whilst I still struggle with fear of death and am nowhere near my normal self...I can at least function. Before sertraline, I was in a very very dark place. I suspect I owe sertraline my life.

ownedbycat Mon 17-Mar-14 12:39:15

Me too, it's hardest for the first few weeks, as the Sertraline has a cumulative effect.
In my case they reviewed after two weeks and doubled the dose, and I'm stable at that now.

You can't stop taking it suddenly, you have to step the dose down - just as you step up the dose when you start taking it.

I haven't had any nausea, my main side effect is that it blunts the positive emotions as well as the depression.

kazzawazzawoo Mon 17-Mar-14 14:55:45

Thanks smile I think I could deal with emotional side effects, but I couldn't deal with ANY nausea or gagging/retching.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now