Note: Mumsnet has not checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk, so this is not necessarily the best place to seek help if you're feeling seriously distressed or suicidal. Mumsnet cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice and support.

Do you think counselling could help me? And if so, how?

(4 Posts)
dreampalace Fri 14-Mar-14 20:08:30

Hi

I'm 32, if that is relevant.

I have never been in a relationship. This is something that's really troubling me as I move from early-to-mid-thirties.

The truth is, I have realised of late, I just don't know how to be in a relationship. I don't have "crushes"; I think the last time I "fancied someone" was when I was 18. I am sexual and fantasise but about unreachable figures (like celebrities.)

I have little confidence and my social life is a bit difficult with so many friends being married, although I do get out when I can.

Should I be looking at exploring these issues?

LEMmingaround Fri 14-Mar-14 20:54:51

I think it would help - are you happily single or would you like to be in a couple? The only thing you have to be in a relationship is yourself, i think you have to like yourself too. Counselling could certainly help with your confidence.

dreampalace Fri 14-Mar-14 21:00:44

Thanks for replying, LEM smile

It's hard to say. I am not unhappy - but I am aware that having never been in a relationship I don't have a comparison to draw from. I think I'd be happier in a couple as I do feel lonely at times.

I suppose I'm just unsure as counselling wasn't very helpful before, I am aware of my issues but I just can't seem to solve them!

LastingLight Sat 15-Mar-14 18:48:00

Counselling helped me. I never had relationships in my teens and twenties, after counselling and sorting out issues I got married at 34.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now