Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Please tell me happy antidepressant stories

(32 Posts)
BluBurd Sat 08-Mar-14 11:17:46

I am having a really hard day. I honestly feel completely and utterly hopeless and heartbroken.

I'd really love to hear some positive stories about antidepressants. I'm on sertraline, just about to increase to 100mg today and I am desperate to believe they are going to help me.

I'd love to know what it felt like when they really kicked in. I can't have therapy yet as I am too unstable, so basically I am existing for the meds to work.

jojack17 Sun 09-Mar-14 21:20:29

Hi bluBurd, I've been on sertraline for about 4 months...I didn't notice a positive effect until I'd been on them about 3 and a half weeks, and then gradually day by day I felt better and better, much lighter and just able to react normally to stuff instead of being wrapped up in my own miserable thoughts. For the last week I've been horrified to feel the old anxiety symptoms creeping back. I have a feeling I may need to up my dose as I'm only on 50 mg, and even though I'm not keen on that idea, I know it may be necessary and if the doc suggests it, I'll do it. Hang in there, the sertraline will do its job, give it a bit more time, and remember, this will pass! We will all get through this crap, doing whatever we need to do, it will pass xxxx

jojack17 Sun 09-Mar-14 21:24:03

Hi bluBurd, I've been on sertraline for about 4 months...I didn't notice a positive effect until I'd been on them about 3 and a half weeks, and then gradually day by day I felt better and better, much lighter and just able to react normally to stuff instead of being wrapped up in my own miserable thoughts. For the last week I've been horrified to feel the old anxiety symptoms creeping back. I have a feeling I may need to up my dose as I'm only on 50 mg, and even though I'm not keen on that idea, I know it may be necessary and if the doc suggests it, I'll do it. Hang in there, the sertraline will do its job, give it a bit more time, and remember, this will pass! We will all get through this crap, doing whatever we need to do, it will pass xxxx

BluBurd Sun 09-Mar-14 21:58:37

Thanks jojack! I've had a good day today, not cried all day and feel happy smile

I increased my dose last night from 50mg to 100mg and I didn't have any side effects so far, so if you do have to go up, don't worry too much.

LastingLight Tue 11-Mar-14 07:04:16

How are you doing BluBurd?

BluBurd Tue 11-Mar-14 07:31:45

I'm doing okay LastingLight. Seem to be a lot more stable, haven't had crying fits for two days now and the bad thoughts are a lot less and easier to distract myself from.

I am not thinking a lot about anything to be honest as a large part of me still has trouble accepting how suddenly my life changed. I was initially diagnosed with adjustment reaction disorder and sometimes I still think that's the case. I sometimes just think...what happened to me? How did my life change so massively in one night.

I am hoping time and therapy will help me deal with that.

TrueWorrier Sun 16-Mar-14 16:41:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ownedbycat Mon 17-Mar-14 13:05:00

Good news BluBird !

I found that the first two weeks at 50mg there was an effect, but I was still having days curled up under the duvet crying.
Stepping up to 100mg after two weeks, I feel very different.

I'm coping with things better, been back visiting my OH in the hospital, done some cleaning, even been feeding myself!

I'm still having problems related to the depression. Some anxiety but not the sweating and shaking that I had before the Sertraline. I find it hard to get out of bed and start the day, but I think it won't be long before I can get a night's sleep and out of bed next morning.

I take mine first thing in the morning, which might not be the best time if the amount in the blood dips in the evening - might be why I'm not sleeping. I seem to be at my best around 2pm, which would be four hours after the tablet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now