Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Why is there such a stigma attached to depression?

(2 Posts)
needaholidaynow Thu 27-Feb-14 16:16:25

I'm not lazy, I'm not skiving, I'm not making excuses. sad I'm ill. I can just imagine the speculation and bitchiness going on at work about me. All I want is to feel "normal", but that is not how I feel at the moment.

Sleep each night is disrupted by nightmares, I am exhausted, teary, low, anxious, stressed and everyday is just a struggle. On top of that i hate being around people. I'm seeing my GP again tomorrow.

I know I shouldn't worry about what they all think but I do.

LastingLight Thu 27-Feb-14 17:22:15

((HUGS))

I think a large part of the problem is that people simply don't know much about mental illness, so it's easy to dismiss it as laziness or weakness. That's why I talk to people about my depression and treatment any time an opportunity presents itself. In addition they don't know how to treat or support someone with mental illness. There are socially acceptable ways of doing that if someone has cancer, or a broken leg, but nobody know how to talk to or what to do for someone with depression. I think it also scares some people, they want to believe that having a mental illness is just lack of willpower because that way it can never happen to them.

Concentrate on what you need in order to get better. Eat healthily, go for walks, or swimming take your meds if your doc prescribed any and try to arrange for some talk therapy as soon as possible. It is possible to beat this illness, and you already took the very important first step of recognising that you have a problem and seeking help.

Take care, I hope you feel better soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now