Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

I think I'm depressed: what to say to the GP?

(10 Posts)
Euphemia Tue 25-Feb-14 21:15:10

I'm seeing a GP on Thursday. I don't know where to start explaining how I feel. I'm already feeling anxious about only having ten minutes, and worried about spending most of them crying!

I'm lost. I need help. sad

Hi Euphemia,
When I was going through a terrible time and was depressed I wrote the whole thing down as I knew I wouldn't be able to get it all out. I still blubbed, it was terrible. Honestly, write it down.
Hope you're ok - I really respect your posts.
x

petmyunicorn Tue 25-Feb-14 21:18:11

Have a cup of tea.

Then get some paper and a pen. Make a bullet point list of how you are feeling, and how it is affecting your life.

Or just write if that suits you better, then make a bullet point list. This way you have something ready to refer to to make sure you get your information across, and if you are just crying, you can hand your list to the GP.

Best of luck.

MisForMumNotMaid Tue 25-Feb-14 21:20:13

I'm listening. I have a lot more than ten minutes. With sleep breaks nearer two days. Start writing down every tiny little frustration, sadness and anger you feel able to. Then once everything your ready to let out, is out, we, no doubt with others, can help you get it into a list of things to tell the GP.

No rights and wrongs here. Try not to feel any guilt for anything you feel, nothing is silly or ridiculous.

Innogen Tue 25-Feb-14 21:20:51

Whatever you decide to tell her, make sure you write it down in advance and take it.

When I was being diagnosed I sobbed and got all flustered. Having bullet points made sure I didn't forget anything, despite hysterics.

Best of luck, you are on your way to getting better! thanks

Euphemia Wed 26-Feb-14 06:59:27

Thanks for the support and advice.

I'll spend a few hours this evening writing a list. wink

I do feel relief at having made an appointment with the GP - s/he will help me start to get better!

metoo22 Wed 26-Feb-14 14:09:26

Hi, would just echo what everyone else said. I went to the surgery and saw a doctor I didn't know, and cried so much that I could only spit out the bare bones of the crisis that had triggered my depression/breakdown. He just said to have the rest of the week off work, but to be fair, he didn't know what was going on.

I went back the next week and saw my GP, and I had a piece of paper with me where I had summarised it all. She was brilliant, took me in hand, reassured me, and I am now on anti depressants, still off work 6 weeks later but beginning to think about going back. It actually helped me too, to write down the different aspects of my worries and depression, I would never have been able to say them all. She asked me to do a questionnaire and attached my letter to it, so it was all relevant.

Good luck, hope you feel better soon.

MisForMumNotMaid Thu 27-Feb-14 19:03:16

I hope things went well for you today and that you are able to feel that you're now pointing in the right direction.

Euphemia Thu 27-Feb-14 19:05:11

Well, the GP signed me off for a week in the first instance, to give me time to rest, go for walks, get time and space, etc.

Now I can't decide whether not going to work will make me less stressed than going!

Argh!

MisForMumNotMaid Thu 27-Feb-14 19:21:31

Empty time can be the enemy but fresh air is definitely phenomenally beneficial.

A week to breathe is a good start. Time to get personal space etc is necessary. It is just possible that after a week things will feel a little more in control.

DH suffers from principally anxiety but also gets depressed. Sometimes
I have to almost row with him to get him out for an airing but once he's out the thick cloud lifts a little.

When walking he's able to think about one or two need to do activities and then getting on with these helps. An exercise machine helps but in my opinion its not as effective as even a gentle stroll outside with his anxiety.

Its the days you least want to go out that you most need to. We have a little cavalier king charles spaniel. Mainly because I like something to chat away to, that doesn't answer me back, but also because I can send DH out with a purpose. Even 10 minutes breaks the cycle a little. The fitness people say 20 mins brisk walking though I believe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now