Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Finally got some Fluoxetine,...

(19 Posts)
brighteyedbusytailed Tue 25-Feb-14 18:02:10

I'ts dragged and taken a while for my to get my hands on something to kickstart recovery and I have been given opportunity for counselling at my local GP.

loud exhale

I feel like a weight has been lifted. And things can look up now

SnowyMouse Tue 25-Feb-14 19:25:51

Good for you!

brighteyedbusytailed Fri 28-Feb-14 15:32:07

? are you being rude or being nice i can't tell apologises if the latter

I am sure snowy meant it in a nice way, she is very supportive.

I hope it starts to work for you soon, well done for starting on your path to recovery.

NewName123 Fri 28-Feb-14 15:46:46

well done, I have been on Fluoxetine for a couple months now and have recently upped my dose. I feel so much better, hope you do too soon x

Innogen Fri 28-Feb-14 15:48:29

Fluoxetine fixed me! Good luck thanks

SergeantJarhead Fri 28-Feb-14 22:43:40

Good luck OP, it didn't work for me due to clashes with other health problems but I've read great things about it and my GP is quite supportive of this type of medication. Chuffed for you, it's nice to feel like you've started on the right road eh? x

brighteyedbusytailed Sat 01-Mar-14 07:19:34

Oh right ok sorry snowy, its hard to tell in type sometimes

yeah only had it a few days so its unlikely to be kicking in yet, although I do feel a bit more levelled out.

brighteyedbusytailed Sat 01-Mar-14 07:20:30

sorry 2x post

I know they say it can take 6 weeks but how long did it take you? to feel diff?

MyriadOfMiracles Sun 02-Mar-14 19:44:42

Hi Op smile
I am on fluoxetine and have been for about 3 months. I felt calmer by 2 weeks and slowl noticed more and more improvements for about a month after. It has helped me no end! I recently considered upping the dose as I am only on 20mg and my pmt was quite bad, but doc advised me against it as its still ok to have bad days now and again etc. everyone is different though and you will know if you need doses changed or a different AD . Well done smile

brighteyedbusytailed Mon 03-Mar-14 13:27:52

Thanks, glad its helped you, yeah meds aren't going to banish bad days full stop I suppose, I've been on a week tomorrow.

LoveVintage Mon 03-Mar-14 13:31:36

I have been on 20mg fluoxetine for a few months. I felt better even just having been to the doctor and after 4/5 weeks felt so much better than I had been. I think it levelled off a bit - the first few months I felt amazing, now not so much and a bit more up and down but it definitely has helped.

I will soon be at the stage of thinking about stopping it, not sure how I feel about that.

brighteyedbusytailed Mon 03-Mar-14 13:42:54

I think I'm feeling a bit more levelled out, but its not even been a week so possibly just optimism,

I'm not having the 'I just want to sleep/hibernate days' since which was basically every day for me.

I bet thats scary LoveVintage!!

LoveVintage Mon 03-Mar-14 16:11:39

A wee bit! It is hard to know how I would feel without them - only one way to find out I guess! You probably are feeling better because you have taken steps to help yourself. That is exactly how I felt. Recently I have forgotten to take my tablet on a few occasions. I told my doctor this and she said it was actually good because I have stopped thinking about them so much. Be kind to yourself.

MyriadOfMiracles Mon 03-Mar-14 17:57:02

LoveVintage I deffo feel it has levelled out too. I am worried i will come off rhem and all the anxiety and low mood will come straight back. I just have to have faith that they are working for the long term a that extra counsellig etc will also help smile

brighteyedbusytailed Tue 04-Mar-14 15:01:04

I hope you stay feeling well Love Vintage and myriad,

I've been on them a week today.

Kerosene Tue 04-Mar-14 15:50:34

I've been on them since mid-January, and I feel like a person now. It's quite lovely smile

There's ups and downs still, days where I've no motivation, but that's better than constant downs. GP is talking about keeping me on them for a couple of years, to see if we can kick this recurrent depression crap. Worth a shot!

brighteyedbusytailed Tue 04-Mar-14 16:45:22

Aw thats good to hear!

LoveVintage Wed 05-Mar-14 10:20:39

It is lovely Kerosne. I am supposed to be on them until "the spring". My lovely FIL died in January so I suppose inevitably I have dipped. My GP is great and I am sure would be happy for me to stay on them longer if I want to. It is quite a dilemna. I am very glad I decided to take them, but can't help but wonder if I would just go back to my old self coming off them. Hopefully we will get some lovely weather soon and that will give us all a lift.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now