Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Anxiety med which won't cause weight gain?

(13 Posts)
Milkmachinemadness Mon 24-Feb-14 09:08:51

I'm suffering from horrendous anxiety at the moment and have struck up all the courage I have to hopefully get me through the GP's door this morning. However I came of citalopram a few months ago because it caused me to gain a stone and a half in about 3 months. I've managed to loose a stone of that so far . I've read Wellbutrin doesn't cause weightgain but it's no good for anxiety? Anyone have any suggestions ?

gamerchick Mon 24-Feb-14 09:10:52

I'm on propranolol I thought it might make me gain weight but it hasn't yet. Those things are the dogs bollocks.

Milkmachinemadness Mon 24-Feb-14 09:21:36

Oh really ? Do they work quickly ?

gamerchick Mon 24-Feb-14 09:25:57

Yep quite quick. Mine are an as and when if needed which I prefer.

gamerchick Mon 24-Feb-14 09:26:58

They don't stop what's going on in your head but they stop the physical feeling to the anxiety which means you can cope better with it.

Milkmachinemadness Mon 24-Feb-14 09:48:51

Hmmm maybe I will mention it the the GP I just don't want to gain weight , I hate being out of control, I have OCD with my health Anxiety so not sure if they will help , I guess I can ask. Thank you

SergeantJarhead Mon 24-Feb-14 22:25:33

Hey Milkmachine, I'm on Venlafaxine which has curbed my appetite so I haven't gained any weight (3 months now) and I feel like they have made a difference! Hope this helps.

PotentiallyLethalMarshmallow Mon 24-Feb-14 22:31:10

I have been on citalopram since December- does it usually cause weight gain? Mentally, I feel more relaxed but nauseas and my breasts are really sore.

Milkmachinemadness Mon 24-Feb-14 22:38:16

Citalopram made my hair fall out in clumps and I piled weight on , I've lost most if it , prob due to the anxiety again sad. Went to GP he wouldn't give me nowt cause still bfeeding 18 mo sad not happy but he referring me to psych team I think do maybe they can help. Thanks for the suggestions , but useless now as he wont gimme em lol

PotentiallyLethalMarshmallow Mon 24-Feb-14 22:48:47

I have noticed my hair thinning, too. The sore breasts and nausea made me think I was pg but no such luck

Purlesque Tue 25-Feb-14 06:58:50

I have ocd too, I've been taking sertraline since middle of Jan. I have lost a tiny bit of weight and not gaining, despite eating like a horse.
I have found this drug so helpful I can't imagine being without it.
My obsessions have reduced and anxiety goes fairly quickly.

Milkmachinemadness Tue 25-Feb-14 07:14:08

It did work wonders for me , it's was fantastic but the hair loss was alarming , it's taken a long time for it to stop since stopping citalopram. Marshmallow , just keep an eye on it , it is a rarer side affect so it's likely you will be fine x

PotentiallyLethalMarshmallow Tue 25-Feb-14 12:45:52

Thanks. I just read the tiny printed leaflet that comes with the drug, and it said "May increase prolactin" so that may be my sore boob-age

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now