Note: Mumsnet has not checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk, so this is not necessarily the best place to seek help if you're feeling seriously distressed or suicidal. Mumsnet cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice and support.

Sertraline buddies - support for anybody taking Sertraline

(989 Posts)
buttonortwo Thu 13-Feb-14 14:48:29

I eventually went to docs yesterday, been really suffering with depression. Is it possible the medication can result in side effects straight away? I'm feeling sick and no appetite today, however feeling better, clearer... I'm on 50 mg the lowest dose.. Anyone else share their experience please?

LastingLight Thu 13-Feb-14 14:54:28

Yes you can get side effects after the first dose. Hang in there, for most people the side effects disappear after a couple of weeks.

TeaAndHugs Thu 13-Feb-14 18:05:26

I only took one half-pill (25mg) of that because I felt so sick by the time it came to take the next one that I couldn't face putting anything in my body. It took 2 days for the nausea to fully subside. Still have the pills sitting on my kitchen counter judging me, but I can't face feeling that ill again. Side effects can definitely kick in quickly!

Funnyfishface Thu 13-Feb-14 23:25:32

Hi there. Sertraline saved my life.
I tried citalopram first and didn't really get on with it. I switched to 50mg sertraline in September and feel fantastic.
First week on meds is tough then no problem.
Pm me if you need any info.
I take mine around 6 in the evening.

buttonortwo Sun 16-Feb-14 14:31:18

Thanks for your replies. Sickness has gone, only anxiety seems to be increasing, is this common too? Palpitations, thinking the worst...

dontrunwithscissors Sun 16-Feb-14 17:48:17

Yes, sertraline increased my anxiety for 4-5 days and then it subsided.

buttonortwo Tue 18-Feb-14 18:06:09

Thanks, agitation still there but what I am mostly noticing is extreme tiredness... Do they have a sedative effect too? I'm holding onto the fact that in a few weeks I'll feel better...

teawomen Wed 19-Feb-14 08:24:06

Hold on in there. They are a great medication. Hope you feel better soon.

omletta Wed 19-Feb-14 11:42:29

I second that - I'm four weeks in and feel like myself again after years of being very unhappy and angry.

I read that they have the opposite to a sedating effect and so changed to take them in the morning rather than at night. However, initially I did feel very tired, a bit sick and had no appetite. It passes in a few days and I instantly felt calmer although I did feel a bit anxious at points - more so than previous.

All those side effects have passed now and getting this prescription is one of the best things I've ever done! Good luck - stick with it.

CrispyHedgeHog Wed 19-Feb-14 11:44:43

Day 3 for me and so far I've been ok.. felt very anxious and jittery yesterday but ok today.. hang in there.. we'll do it together smile

buttonortwo Thu 20-Feb-14 10:52:55

Thanks for support, feeling ok.. Crispy, yes we'll do it together. How are you feeling today? Omletta that's fantastic, I hope I can be saying the same soon..

Quitelikely Thu 20-Feb-14 11:39:13

Hey

To all you guys who are suffering my advice would be to take your meds before bed or at least an hour or two before, this way the side effects occur during sleep.

That is what I found anyway

buttonortwo Wed 26-Feb-14 12:25:15

Thought I would update.. They are working! I am already starting to feel better, coming out of despair! I cannot believe it, I'm able to relax today, which is a godsend...

Aniline Wed 26-Feb-14 14:00:02

I am on day 3. I had some problems to sleep but otherwise no side effects. I take the tablet in the mornings and feel little bit more energetic.

buttonortwo Wed 26-Feb-14 14:08:08

Aniline, I'm still having sleep problems but the nausea has gone, hang in there. I'm hoping it will continue to improve as time goes on..

Aniline Thu 27-Feb-14 11:06:26

When did you , buttonortwo, notice improvement in your mood? I have only noticed more energy so far. Early days still for me.

LastingLight Thu 27-Feb-14 11:35:23

That's fantastic buttonortwo, glad for you.

buttonortwo Thu 27-Feb-14 16:05:09

Aniline, it's just this week I'm noticing improvement, started 11th feb although I'm extremely tired..I'll keep posting with updates

buttonortwo Fri 28-Feb-14 11:51:41

Oh, I hope I haven't spoken too soon, this morning being crying, very low, low confidence.. I can only hope mess kick in more... Is this normal? Nothing has happened to cause this, apart from my thoughts and reflection on things!

buttonortwo Fri 28-Feb-14 11:52:05

Meds not mess!

LastingLight Fri 28-Feb-14 12:35:26

There will be ups and downs, and it can take several weeks before you feel the full positive effects of the meds.

Aniline Fri 28-Feb-14 14:18:18

Thinking the same as Lastinglight.

I have a mixed bag. My energy levels have raised but I feel worse otherwise. Sometimes I feel okish but then horrible bad feeling strikes. Worse than before sertraline. Hopefully this disappears.

Degustibusnonestdisputandem Fri 28-Feb-14 14:22:28

It took many, many months for it to start working properly for me but oh boy has it made a huge difference - so hang in there! Agreed though with the ups and downs - I found it quite hellish in the first week especially.

buttonortwo Fri 28-Feb-14 15:00:16

Thanks for replies.. I'm finding I'm sensitive to noise, things not feeling real. Spent afternoon with mum who talked about herself constantly, I just switch off, she doesn't know and I won't tell her. I feel exhausted by her.. I don't think it is normal to feel so exhausted, she just talked about trivial things and I was thinking to myself " I don't care". Have always felt invisible... Wish she didn't have a negative effect, I tend to limit contact.. I'm hanging onto the fact the will work, thanks degust. Hate the ups and downs. Absolutely hate it.

Degustibusnonestdisputandem Fri 28-Feb-14 15:04:21

Yeah the ups & downs are not much fun at all - unfortunately with sertraline you often feel worse before you feel better! x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now