Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Can I get through this without antid's ?

(3 Posts)
ladypanbanisha Wed 22-Jan-14 22:41:39

I have had the shittiest year in shit street in shit town.
Finally I have caved and can't cope with much, can't sleep, binge eating out of control, crying all over the place etc Etc.

I have a professional job and actually feel it would be dangerous for me to go to work now as I just can't do it.

I have seen a private counsellor / psychotherapist and am going to see her weekly to work through this.

I need to see my GP tomorrow to get signed off again and I am hoping they don't give me antidepressants as I dont want to take tablets ( I am really struggling with having to take meds for the rest of my life and don't want more )

What I am asking is if I will get over this with therapy and time off alone without drugs. I guess I have some sort of reactive depression / anxiety thing going on. I have beta blockers already and don't know what the GP will do next. I gave been off work for 3 weeks.

TrueWorrier Thu 23-Jan-14 10:13:39

Well I'm sure you could get through this without any further medication lady but I think it would be incredibly hard and miserable for you.

I'm sure most people could suffer through extreme tonsilitis with taking anti-biotics but it would be a nasty, debilitating experience. And, there's really no need to suffer like that, or for so long.

I've also had a shitty year, with an extra helping of crap every now and again. Like you I was dealing with it, but just before Xmas it all started to crack and I felt myself sinking fast. I recognised the same symptoms of anxiety/mild depression because I had PND when DC was born.

My GP was fantastic and prescribed me sertraline which is brilliant for stopping the waves of anxiety. I'm now on Day 21 of taking them, and I'm back to feeling much like I felt over a year ago. I feel like 'me' again, I'm calm, focused and more optimistic again smile

You really don't need to suffer. Why not just try ADs for a couple of months, and see how they work for you?

ladypanbanisha Thu 23-Jan-14 11:41:54

Well I went to the GP and have been signed off work for another couple of weeks. No mention of antidepressants. She said the beta blockers will mask the symptoms but not stop the cause.
I am lucky that I can pay for counselling and am hoping that gets to the bottom of it.
Thank you for the reply.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now