Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Anti-depressants and pregnancy

(5 Posts)
littlebearbear Tue 21-Jan-14 11:24:01

Hi, I hope this is in the right place. We are hoping to have a baby one day, I am just past mid thirties and this would be my first child. I have a history of depression and am currently taking anti-depressants. In an ideal world I'd love to be free of them, and to be less overweight, before having a baby. But I am aware of needing the support, and of getting older, and I wondered if anyone else had been in the same or a similar position, and had taken anti-depressants during pregnancy.

SweetTeaVodka Tue 21-Jan-14 15:14:16

I took citalopram throughout my pregnancy and still am whilst breastfeeding. I weaned off it in the last trimester and was fine until 2 weeks post partum when I needed to go back on them.

I found all the HCP I dealt with very supportive. Got closer attention from midwives and HV after baby arrived but in a lovely supportive way.

littlebearbear Tue 28-Jan-14 17:34:23

Thanks very much for your reply STV, very helpful to hear about your experience of this.

Queenofknickers Tue 28-Jan-14 18:21:23

I took fluoxetine through 2 pregnancies and breast feeding - all fine. Second time I told my HV and she was supportive and did extra checks I was OK etc.

TrueWorrier Wed 29-Jan-14 09:52:34

I took amiltriptyline while pregnant with 2nd DC, and it was excellent for me. I suffered with anxiety and PND after DC1, and had been on Sertraline (didn't like it) but once I became pregnant with DC2 my GP swapped me to amiltriptyline because it's very safe during pregnancy and more well known than the newer SSRIs.

I loved it. Made me very chilled out, completely stopped my slight OCD tendencies when it comes to housework, and I felt calm and happy smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now