Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

How do you tell a doctor how you feel?

(19 Posts)

I'm lost and don't know where to start really.
I have suspected for a long time that I am depressed, but I have completely stuck my head in the sand.
I've reached the point where I don't know if I can function anymore. All my emotions are numbed, I'm ruining friendships and relationships because I feel so weighed down by it all. There are days where I can barely manage to get dressed. I recently broke up with my parter and I feel nothing. At the same time though my ability to hide from my problems and feelings is stopping me from doing the things I need to to move out. My DS deserves better than this and I need some help.

What do I do? How do I even start to explain this to a doctor? And actually what do I even say when I book the appointment?

Sorry it's a bit long and babbly, thanks for reading.

Anyone?

ProfPlumSpeaking Mon 20-Jan-14 11:01:47

Maybe print out your OP and take it with you? GPs are trained to ask the right questions once they know the kind of thing you have gone in for so he/she will take it from there. You could ask about CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy).

I wish you well xx

Hello Through. Book the appointment and if they ask you say ' I need some help because i think I may be depressed'.
When you get into the Doctor's room you say exactly the same. Then the conversation will start.

Here is a little NHS questionnaire that you could do before you go to work out that you are suffering from depression.NHS questionairre

Ring them now. And good luck. xx

redgate Mon 20-Jan-14 11:07:49

I was going to say the same thing as Profplum, taking a note explaining how you feel will be a really good way to explain. It's really hard asking for support, but things like CBT will definately help you to help yourself and you are definately the only one who feels like this.

HolidayArmadillo Mon 20-Jan-14 11:10:44

I went in and cried as soon as the GP asked what he could do for me. He got it. Good luck. I hope you get some help soon.

Thank you all so much for replying. Just saying it (-writing it) aloud has calmed me down a bit.
It's ringing the doctors and making an appointment that worries me, I'm not sure I can say 'I'm worried I'm depressed' to the receptionist. I'm not a proud or easily embarrassed person but it just feels like I'm sharing too much.
I'll call and give it a go though. I've not heard of CBT, I'll look it up.
Thanks again.

mouse26 Mon 20-Jan-14 12:56:53

I wouldn't tell them anything when booking the appointment. I saw my gp last week and just cried, she figured out why I was there quite quickly blush

I'm pleased they helped you mouse. I think I need to just bite the bullet.
I'll ring and just ask to book an appointment and when they ask what it concerns I'll just say I'd rather not say.

mouse26 Mon 20-Jan-14 14:33:07

Definitely do that - the relief I felt when I left the doctors was immense. I just started anti-ds yesterday and I know there's a light at the end of the tunnel somewhere. Hope you get some help very soon x

SkateLife Mon 20-Jan-14 14:39:12

Firstly, I'm sorry you're going through this.

Just call the doctor and ask for an appointment. If they ask why (which they bloody well shouldn't), just say you don't want to say.

When I went, I took an envelope with me, with some notes scrawled on it. I didn't need it, the doctor saw my face and asked. It was so easy and I felt better just talking to someone. I had CBT and AD's, the AD's got me through till the CBT changed the way I looked at life.

You can do it.

LittleBearPad Mon 20-Jan-14 14:46:39

You don't have to tell the receptionist although I just cried at her when phoning for my appointment. She booked me an emergency one. Cried at the doctor too. I didn't really have to explain much after that! Good luck. It will get better x

DoctorTwo Mon 20-Jan-14 14:54:56

Definitely write down how you're feeling, then if when you get to see your gp and can't speak you can hand your note to him/her. The hardest part is doing what you've just done; admitting to yourself that you have a problem. Good luck.

Have you made the call yet Through? <gentle nag>

Made the call. Thank you for your help, not sure I'd have done it without you all.
It sounds daft but some strangers validating my feelings gave me the push I needed!

ProfPlumSpeaking Wed 22-Jan-14 11:38:47

Well done! I hope you get the help you are looking for. xx

Yes!! Well done. And good luck. x

Hi all, I just wanted to update you. I had my appointment today. It went well. The doctor I saw really let me talk and let it all out. She seemed to understand.
Anyway, I've been prescribed a low dose anti depressant and she has referred me for counselling, with a view to review things in a month.
Thank you all for encouraging me, it really helped. I'm feeling a lot more positive now thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now