Note: Mumsnet has not checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk, so this is not necessarily the best place to seek help if you're feeling seriously distressed or suicidal. Mumsnet cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice and support.

Is this pmt or menopause?

(3 Posts)
HoarsePlatitudes Tue 14-Jan-14 12:11:38

Im really struggling with pmt since having my baby 10 months ago. I'm not sure if its because I'm still carrying extra weight (3 stone) bc apparently that makes pmt worse, or if its due to my age....but I didn't really used to have symptoms and now I'm a weeping psycho, a walking cliche.

I've spent the last week feeling super bleak, verging on suicidal. Yesterday I slapped both my children, and wanted to leave my life far behind. I spent the past few days in floods of misery and tears.

Thus morning my period started...it's a week early so I am relieved as I thought I was heading for a breakdown, but now I'm worried that my erratic periods and mood mean I'm peri menopausal ( I've also aged rapidly over the past couple of years).

I'm on Prozac already .... It generally balances me out perfectly but right now I feel unhinged....

printmeanicephoto Fri 17-Jan-14 20:15:24

Please see your doctor or health visitor asap. You may have post-natal depression.

larahusky Fri 17-Jan-14 23:45:09

I have found giving up caffeine has been miraculous in terms of my hormonal symptoms. I have awful pms which got unbearable after my second child aged 40.

No caffeine is the only thing that works for me, hope it or something else helps you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now