Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Elavil side effects and would 1/2 does be ok until I can speak to GP tomorrow?

(9 Posts)
TheDrugsWorkABitTooWellThanks Mon 13-Jan-14 19:35:50

Tried this in chat as I want it to disappear. ;)

Started 10mg elavil 3 days ago for insomnia & migraines & pain. Also depressed, but he suggested I see counsellor rather than more pills.

I'm stoned. Can't drive. Insatiable libido. Giggles. Inability to work to urgent deadlines. Generally I've got everything but the munchies, as dry mouth means I don't want to eat.

Should I take a 1/2 pill tonight. None? Or prescribed dose?

Hi there,
am I right in thinking Elavil is a brand of amitriptyline? If so this does sound like quite an extreme reaction, based on my and a friends experiences of it and the fact that you're starting on 10mg.

Are you taking it at night?
Are you taking any other medication/alcohol with it?

Assuming that you're not, I would probably hold off tonight's dose and speak to a GP in the morning just to check you should continue. Stuff like this affects people differently. Take care!

TheDrugsWorkABitTooWellThanks Mon 13-Jan-14 20:12:26

Nothing else. Absolutely no alcohol. Was warned many times not to. Don't drink much anyway. Taken before bed.

How are you doing today?

TheDrugsWorkABitTooWellThanks Tue 14-Jan-14 11:47:27

Badly thanks. ;)
Spoke to dr a told me off for not taking it yesterday, and to keep going, and I'd feel better in a few days or weeks. I fell asleep waiting for his callback. Ant drive so been cycling & walking. Yesterday 8 miles. Today I need to go further and uphill with 3 children. Think we will have to miss that class.

TheDrugsWorkABitTooWellThanks Tue 14-Jan-14 11:54:05

This is why I don't like doctors.

I am not a child. I don't want to be told off.

I went for an emerncy appt on Friday as I felt so awful. I really hoped not to get him, as I don't feel he has any bedside chair side? manner.

But he made me talk when all I wanted was antibiotics, told me I was depressed which I am, but don't feel like talking about and sent me off with pills and an instruction to come back in a month. Stuck temp thing in my ear without asking. Forced me to open my mouth when I said it was so sore I couldn't.

I call clearly unhappy on Tuesday, even receptionist is sympathetic about prescription dose not agreeing with me, as she had to ask why I wanted to speak to him, and he tells me off?!

You don't have to reply. I'm just ranting. But this is why I don't do doctors.

Rant away - his bedside manner sounds like it leaves a lot to be desired? Is there a different GP you can see? Hope the side effects do calm down v quickly. take care!

TheDrugsWorkABitTooWellThanks Tue 14-Jan-14 15:57:10

It's not just me is it? I don't think that is very good manner to have with patients. I was flinching at his frankly rough demeanour & touch, and his comment was that perhaps I'd prefer to see a female doctor as if I was the one with an issue with being manhandled.

He is in his defense, the first dr in years who has told me I'm depressed. When I know I am, and have years ago begged for help, to be told by a GP at another practise that he didn't like putting patients on anti depressants. Well thanks. But no amount of pills or talking will change the fact that my mother is a narcissitic bitch who stalks me, since I went NC 10 years ago.

TheDrugsWorkABitTooWellThanks Tue 21-Jan-14 11:25:17

Well, nearly 2 weeks in and feeling a lot better.

I can sleep I can drive.
Head pain is about 1 foot to my left, there but not there IYSWIM
Food still tastes odd,my mouth & lips are still dry.
I'm still incredibly horny blush but that's no bad thing.

But my period is late. I have a coil, so shouldn't be pregnant. Saw GP this morning, & said not listed as side effect on leaflet but found it on google. Is this normal?

He told me to take a test in a week if my period still hasn't appeared. Well clearly I ignored him & tested now. hmm

Anyone else found this with elavil? When should I expect it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now