Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

DP diagnosed with severe depression and anxiety today please help me support him

(29 Posts)
TinyDiamond Mon 13-Jan-14 18:47:38

Things are massively shit at the moment. Suddenly within the last 2 weeks dp has plunged into a very dark place as he has utterly CONVINCED himself that he has got bowel cancer.

He of course has not but crippling health anxiety has taken over and things are just so hard.

4 different docs have tried to reassure him but it makes no difference. We just had an hour gp appt where he was prescribrd some meds and they also examined him to check for any anal bleeding (what he thinks he has been having) he has piles but there is nothing visible hence him being convinced he has cancer.

The doc is putting a private referral for him this week for abdominal scans to put his mind at rest (at dp's insistence even though every doc has said not to worry).

My Dad has bowel cancer and was not diagnosed for a long time hence where the idea has probably come from but there is literally no other reason at all symptom wise for dp to think that he is ill. It's all psychological.

It has all been so sudden. What can I do to make him feel better? Anyone please help.

OnBoard Thu 16-Jan-14 15:02:16

Did the GP refer him for cbt or to the local mental health team? I don't think you can make him feel better, he believes what his mind is telling him.

WaitingForMe Thu 16-Jan-14 15:12:31

He's spending money you can't afford for something he doesn't need because of a mental health issue?

That for me would be enough to be seeking urgent support. Because the tests won't put his mind at ease and he'll want more.

TinyDiamond Thu 16-Jan-14 15:43:18

We found out today that his insurance will not cover ANY private treatment so that is no longer an option. He will have to wait for an nhs referral which the gp will do (I am surprised they even say yes as it isn't really needed) but there is months to wait that way.

In the mean time he is off work and mainly sleeping/sitting.

Next time we go to gp will ask for councelling referral to be put through. We have also talked about getting some couple sessions.

TinyDiamond Thu 16-Jan-14 15:44:08

waitingforme what or where do you mean? where can we get urgent support?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now