Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

DBT (Dialectical behavior therapy)

(8 Posts)

I started DBT last week and wondered if anyone here has done it or is currently doing it.

So far I have found the 1:1 session to be ok, and the group session to be boring.

Feels a big overwhelming to think about doing it for a year.

SilverStars Sat 11-Jan-14 19:26:59

Hi it is not a whole year in that there are breaks in the group therapy between the 4 modules. But over a year. It is frustrating as it means people wait so long to get on the course as it is so long. Can be useful for people if they engage with it.

I don't think there are breaks between the modules in my DBT group.

I know they had a break over Christmas though. The group initially started last February and the people who have stayed with it are graduating in February so I am pretty sure it is a year.

I am lucky that I didn't have to wait really.

thedyingswan Sat 11-Jan-14 19:45:32

I did it for one year. I can't remember much because I was drunk most of the sessions. This was years ago. I continued the therapy only because my drinking buddy was there. I don't even have borderline, but I did self harm. I remember the other people being quite sick compared to me. Sorry not too much help op, but shared my experience.

justpoppy Sun 12-Jan-14 09:40:37

I did 18 months of dbt and found it hugely helpful. It was a while ago now - I graduated about 4 years ago but still use skills on a daily basis. I've been med free for a year now and would no longer meet the diagnostic criteria for bpd. It is hard work - can be boring at times but imo it saved my life.

Glad to hear it worked for you justpoppy thanks for sharing your experience.

justpoppy Tue 14-Jan-14 19:25:45

Wish you luck fluffy. Really hope you find it useful too.

Hopeful bump to see if anyone else has done it.

I have another group session tomorrow which I am not looking forward to at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now