Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

I'm not being weak to take anti-ds, am I?

(22 Posts)
Trooperslane Sun 12-Jan-14 09:53:41

I use the same analogy as lastinglight. We've a long way to go in learning how to support people with depression and anxiety.

Your friends are massively, massively misguided. brewthanks

newyearhere Sun 12-Jan-14 09:51:22

Your friends don't seem to know that depression is a real illness that can be treated and which isn't something you chose. It's not a sign of weakness or "giving up" any more than taking medication for any other illness.

specialsubject Sat 11-Jan-14 22:47:07

it staggers me that in 2014 there is still a stigma about treating an illness, or indeed having that illness in the first place.

if they help, take them!!

The only things you need to lose are these 'friends'. Find some with brains and sympathy.

working9while5 Sat 11-Jan-14 22:22:51

Also I've learned to be very picky indeed about who I talk to about any of my mh history, vulnerabilities or the things I do to manage potential sources of trouble. Some people just talk a load of shit about this stuff and I prefer to follow my own counsel.

Sayings that help me:
If there are two witnesses to your experience, trust the principal one (e.g. yourself!).
What others think of your decisions is none of your business.

BigBirthdayGloom Sat 11-Jan-14 22:18:24

Honestly? I think it's a sign of strength to take them. As others have said, it's a matter of brain chemistry that needs correction.
I avoided ads for years and have been on citalopram for a few months and feel a little sad about what I missed out on through being really pretty unwell.

working9while5 Sat 11-Jan-14 22:14:27

I don't think you're one bit weak or a failure.

You're recognising signs of potential relapse and using knowledge of what worked before to prevent it. Of course that's sensible!

On the other hand and not at all contrary to that in the slightest might I recommend after all this settles you look at something like Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy for future relapse prevention? ADs are a great crutch but my understanding is that they only work while you take them and don't prevent future relapse when stressful things arise again (as they always will) but there's evidence MBCT halves your chances of future relapse.

I'm hoping I never have to take ADs again and aiming for that because I think they had downsides too, not least coming off them which I found very hard and I didn't like some side effects and wasn't keen on experimenting with a range of different types. If you've not experienced issues like this you may just think if it comes back again I'll just go on them again so feel free to ignore if it's not a helpful suggestion!

NoWuckingFurries Sat 11-Jan-14 20:51:30
NoWuckingFurries Sat 11-Jan-14 20:50:28

I think this is an appropriate link... http://imgur.com/CWFTYoV?desktop=1

You're doing the right thing OP.

No way. Just agreeing with everyone else. It's the right thing for you and the right thing for your family. Unfortunately people who haven't experienced mental health problems don't understand that its way more than feeling stressed hmm

Take care x

Queenofknickers Sat 11-Jan-14 19:45:20

Couldn't agree more with the posts above. No "weaker" than taking Antibiotics for pneumonia. Do it - you deserve to feel better thanks

FanFuckingTastic Sat 11-Jan-14 18:13:38

Nope. Just as a man with a broken leg using a cast, crutches and a pain killer is not being weak. You have an illness, you require treatment, anti-depressants can help to recover your brain chemistry and help alongside other measures to help you recover.

People like to make out that because it's intangible and not immediately visible to them, that because they had a bad time and did alright without them, that you might be weak, but it's simply not the case, you are the one living your life and you know when you need to ask for help. Their ignorance, not your weakness, always remember that.

SilverStars Sat 11-Jan-14 18:06:54

You know you are going through stress and that causes physical symptoms that are reduced by medication, so no ou are being sensible not week. Those people who say otherwise cannot judge until they experience the stresses and effects themselves. I had a friend once who told me to man up, then when her dh got ill got signed off work with stress. Mmm!!!! I do not tell people anymore!!!

Beckamaw Sat 11-Jan-14 13:10:00

What a load of bollocks!
I am taking ADs, most specifically to enable better relationships with my children and my brilliant DP.
Yes, I could struggle through, but then the rest of my family have to struggle with me.
You are helping EVERYONE. You are doing the right thing. smile

Jux Sat 11-Jan-14 12:59:58

No. Your friends are stupid saying that, they need to wise up.

It is much harder to look at yourself objectively, identify a problem and do something about it. You are being strong and sensible.

Easy to ignore early signs - so many people do that - and struggle on until it's too late and things have become dreadful. Look at all the tv info-ads, they all say ACT FAST.

Congratulations. thanks

WasWats Sat 11-Jan-14 12:52:02

If you were anaemic and you took iron to help it would you be weak? If you were in need of a blood transfusion after an operation and you took it, would you be weak?

No. You are being strong by taking them. You are taking charge of your mental health and you are being responsible.

Pop those pills baby ;)

Yes psychotherapy is fab - I continue to have this but less frequently now but it really helps me offload and think things through and see life in a positive and less anxious way :-).

dobedobedo Sat 11-Jan-14 12:47:50

Of course you're not weak. Depression isn't something you can control. It's something you have to treat in order to have a decent quality of life. Anti ds are a good treatment in most cases. Never feel ashamed about taking them, ever. thanks

LastingLight Sat 11-Jan-14 12:41:05

Would it be weak if you had a broken leg and wore a cast on it? Your friends are wrong, don't pay any attention to them. Well done for recognising that you need help and getting it. I agree with Practicallyperfectnot that therapy is also very helpful, especially if your depression and anxiety are caused by specific life events.

NO you are not. Having been there and done it taking AD over a stressful time, ADs do have a use and it's good you are recognising the early symptoms. I do believe stress can upset the chemical balance and ADs sort this out. Psychotherapy is also useful as well both with and without ADs. I'm off ADs now but like you I know what to look out for and will ask for ADs early on. And try to find something fun to do / that helps me too :-)

smallinthesmoke Sat 11-Jan-14 12:28:43

Your friends have got it wrong. Feel free to ignore them. And let's hear it for feeling more relaxed, less anxious and looking looking forward to things again. You are very sensible for taking action. Well done.

ProfondoRosso Sat 11-Jan-14 12:24:16

Of course you're not, sweetheart. We're talking brain chemistry and you being wise enough to notice when your brain is acting up (well done - that's a very brave step to take).

If a friend had chronic back pain which went away for a good while but then returned, nobody would think she was weak by going for more physio/taking medication again. You are not being weak at all.

Not100percent Sat 11-Jan-14 12:21:39

About 10 years ago I suffered with PND which manifested as extreme anxiety. I took ADs and they worked well and helped me function more normally, and I recovered. I stopped taking them 8 years ago, and haven't needed them since.

But, for the past 18 months life has been stressful due to lots of reasons. But, I've kept calm and carried on and surprised myself with how well I've coped.

A month ago, I started noticing little signs which made me think my anxiety/depression was coming back. I was becoming much quieter and having to force myself to chat with DH and DCs. I was getting anxious about being alone (remember this very clearly from when I had PND), and was becoming unable to look forward to doing enjoyable stuff.

I saw my GP and she agreed I was a bit too anxious and a bit depressed, caused by stress. And she gave me ADs to take again, just a low 50mg dose of lustral.

Two weeks later I can tell the ADs are starting to work. I'm much less anxious, I'm starting to look forward to things again and I'm more relaxed with my DH and DCs.

I intended to take the ADs for the next 6 months just to tide me over this stressful time of my life (which should get much better by the summer) because I don't want to end up as bad as I was when I had PND.

But, talking to a couple of friends they've quite upset me saying that because I've coped so well I shouldn't 'give up' now and start taking ADs, when there's only another 6 months to go before life gets less stressful. They've made me feel a bit of a failure for taking them again sad

I thought I was doing the sensible thing by recognising I was struggling again, but now I've lost confidence in my decision and wonder if I should have just been more stoic and sweated it through sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now