Note: Mumsnet has not checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk, so this is not necessarily the best place to seek help if you're feeling seriously distressed or suicidal. Mumsnet cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice and support.

Breastfeeding and fluoxetine

(7 Posts)
OctaviusAce Sun 12-Jan-14 01:40:36

My wife is currently breastfeeding DS3, and had previously expressed to feed DS 1 & 2 while on fluoxetine. No problems so far with any of them.

Queenofknickers Sat 11-Jan-14 19:38:09

I bf both DSs while taking fluoxetine and at the age of 8 and nearly 10 they seem fine ...... If a little cheeky wink

Purlesque Sat 11-Jan-14 15:59:02

Thank you, that's reassuring. I think I'm going to take them!
Do they help with ocd and anxiety too?

Ladyleia Fri 10-Jan-14 18:16:35

I breastfed my DS whilst taking fluoxetine. I had taken it during my pregnancy as well as I am a long term depressive and I didn't want my pregnancy to kickstart something bad. I was told by my consultant that the baby would get a very small amount of the drug from my breastmilk. I was more worried about him getting withdrawal symptoms from taking it during pregnancy!

I would have thought that one feed a day and the fact that such a small amount goes through to the breastmilk, you will be fine.

Oh, and DS was absolutely fine. No symptoms of withdrawal, an absolute dream baby and very happy even after I stopped breastfeeding him.

Purlesque Fri 10-Jan-14 18:08:58

Ok thanks.

What is your profession if you don't mind me asking?

Millie2013 Fri 10-Jan-14 17:12:40

No personal experience, but based on my professional experience, there is no reason (from a toxicity pov) to be concerned. Minimal drug will distribute into the breast milk and even so, fluoxetine is a very safe drug, so any residues of the drug or metabolite, won't cause any harm to baby

Purlesque Fri 10-Jan-14 12:34:57

I have PMDD and my Dr wants me to take fluoxetine for 6 months, I've heard good things about it but I'm worried as I'm BF my 28 month old, only once at bed time.

I have read advice about it but I just need reassurance from some real mums who have taken this whilst breastfeeding.

Did it affect you baby/toddler?

I'm undecided but need to decide by Monday.

TIA

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now