Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

If you take propranolol for anxiety, what dosage do you take?

(5 Posts)
Unhappyness Tue 07-Jan-14 09:55:29

Yesterday, my GP prescribed me 10mg of propranolol to be taken twice a day, because my anxiety levels have been really raised since starting sertraline last week.

I found they worked quite quickly, but the effects only lasted 3-4 hours, so yestreday I end up taking 3 rather than two. I felt that did the job much better and calmed my anxiety, and I was able to go to bed alone for the first time since Xmas

Just spoke to a friend this morning, and she mentioned that she also takes propranolol for anxiety/panic (she also takes a SSRI) and her GP told her she can take up to 40mg three times a day?

I have a stressful afternoon ahead, and I can already feel my anxiety rising and I wondered if I could perhaps take an extra 20mg, or something?

I'm perfectly healthy in all other respects. Just wondered if my GP was being very cautious?

Has your GP arranged to check up on you after a certain amount of time? My GP started me off on 10mg three times a day to see how it worked with me and after monitoring me again, upped the dosage. I don't think you should take more or less than prescribed without talking to your own doctor.

Stardust123 Tue 07-Jan-14 18:30:55

I take it for anxiety, 10mg 3 times a day, but I have taken double dosage sometimes, i don't think its a problem at all and hasn't caused any problems. It helps when you need it.

Arkina Tue 07-Jan-14 18:37:05

Im on 80mg a day

Queenofknickers Sat 11-Jan-14 19:49:33

I take 40 mg twice a day - have been told its fairly harmless if you are otherwise well (blood pressure wise) also found it helpful. I don't take it at lunchtime though as it makes me sleepy in the afternoon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now