Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Not sure I can go on

(83 Posts)
ProfondoRosso Sun 05-Jan-14 11:49:44

Hi everyone, I've posted on here before, quite a while ago, under a different name.

I have generalised anxiety disorder. I have been feeling so awful the past few days that I feel like I can't cope anymore.

I'm coming to the end of my PhD and need to find a job. That has got me worried, but now it's not so much the situation that I'm worried about, rather the fact that I'm having a relapse. I can't stand this feeling. It's horror. I get so anxious about being anxious.

I have left DH alone at home today and come into my office so I can be alone. I feel awful for doing this. When I'm this anxious, I smoke a lot and DH hates it. He feels it's a sign that I'm not fighting hard enough, that I'm just letting the feelings get me. I used to smoke a lot more, but have been wearing nicotine patches at weekends and when we're on holiday, and doing pretty well. DH is the kindest man - he was so gentle with me yesterday when I was having panic attacks, but this is too much for him. He has such a stressful job and really, really needs the weekends to rest. So I had to get away - to be alone, to smoke. I feel like scum.

I've been on several different meds - I'm on Sertralone 200mg now and I thought I was getting better. I hate this cycle of get better for a while, then get worse. I've been doing mindfulness meditation and thought it was a game changer but I let it slide during the Christmas holidays and feel like that might be related to how I'm feeling.

DH is 38, I'm 28. We so want to have a baby. We knew we had to wait until my PhD was over and I thought I was really getting better. Now I feel like we can never have children, because I'll never get well. If I crack up or smoke during pregnancy, it would hurt the baby. And I'd be a bad, unwell mother. And smoking will kill me one day.

I wish I'd been born to a horrible family and never met DH, because then nobody would be hurt if I killed myself. He bought me a juicer for Christmas. We were meant to have a nice day making juice today. But I've just been throwing up, smoking and now all the fruit and veg he bought me will go bad. I'm a horrible person and I feel like I just want to die.

I'm sorry for the ramble, I just needed to get this out.

LastingLight Sun 05-Jan-14 19:35:46

I hope you managed to get some rest tonight. Let us know what the doc said tomorrow.

LastingLight Mon 06-Jan-14 09:16:52

How are you doing today ProfondoRosso?

ProfondoRosso Mon 06-Jan-14 11:51:37

Thank you for checking in, Lasting. I'm still not so good. I had panic attacks Saturday and Sunday night and this morning, which is awful because I always used to settle down at night and feel safer. But I've phoned the doctor and will hopefully get a telephone consultation today.

ProfondoRosso Mon 06-Jan-14 15:04:40

Hi everyone, sorry to come back again but I'm really not doing well. I'm in my office, colleagues are here so that's good, but frightened of going home later. I'm so scared I'll have another panic attack (like the last two nights), feel an intense need to smoke (I never do at home or in the evenings) and DH will hate me. GP hasn't phoned yet, but I feel so sick and light-headed.

LastingLight Mon 06-Jan-14 15:16:25

Ask DH to take you to A&E... you've suffered long enough, you need to act. If you don't want tonight to be a repeat of the last 2 nights then you must change something about the situation. ((HUG))

ProfondoRosso Mon 06-Jan-14 15:31:10

I need to wait until DH gets back from work.

I feel like everything is slipping through my fingers. The life we could have had, the children we so want to have, our happiness. I don't know what we did to deserve this.

LastingLight Mon 06-Jan-14 16:20:44

You didn't do anything to deserve it, it's an illness that you didn't bring upon yourself. Don't try and look at the big picture right now, it's going to look bleak from where you're at. Focus on what you need to do for yourself right now. Be kind to yourself. I know it doesn't feel that way but things can and will get better.

Preciousbane Mon 06-Jan-14 16:25:42

I'm very sorry that you feel so bad, he won't hate you but he will be concerned. Keep posting or call Samaritans www.samaritans.org/how-we-can-help-you/contact-us

ProfondoRosso Mon 06-Jan-14 16:31:45

Thank you, both of you. Your kindness means so much right now. MN can be amazing.

LastingLight Mon 06-Jan-14 16:44:09

When does your DH come home?

Preciousbane Mon 06-Jan-14 16:47:05

Until he is home, which I hope is soon then distract yourself on here.

wfrances Mon 06-Jan-14 16:50:24

hi
sorry your feeling so bad,
have you tried beta blockers? they can stop/lessen the physical symptoms .

ProfondoRosso Mon 06-Jan-14 17:13:08

Thanks wfrances, I've had beta blockers from the doc before, but years ago. I'm still waiting for her to call me today. I have some diazepam which is about a year old - don't know if that would still be OK to take?

LastingLight Mon 06-Jan-14 18:57:10

I would take the diazepam if I was you.

Preciousbane Mon 06-Jan-14 21:34:07

If you get the chance to update let us know how your doing,thinking of you op thanks

ProfondoRosso Mon 06-Jan-14 21:48:23

Thank you for checking in, Lasting and Precious - I had some diazepam and am just sitting with some chamomile tea. Still quite shaky, but feeling a little better. My mind is a bit quieter right now and I'm thankful for that, and the amazing kindness of everyone on this thread.

I don't know how tomorrow and the rest of the week will go, but right now feels better than earlier.

Preciousbane Mon 06-Jan-14 23:06:55

Thanks for coming back on to the thread, the only other I can suggest further is deep breathing. Lay on your back put one had lightly on your chest and one on your abdomen and take nice long deep breaths and make sure your abdomen rises.

I hope you get a decent rest.

LastingLight Tue 07-Jan-14 05:19:32

Good morning ProfondoRosso, how was your night? Did the gp ever get back to you?

lastnightopenedmyeyes Tue 07-Jan-14 09:01:43

Good morning. I hope you had a restful night, still here just checking in on you. Posting is sporadic due to aforementioned 3 year old + last phase if pregnancy - and I'm not sure how much use I am to you - but I am here to support you nonetheless. smile

Preciousbane Tue 07-Jan-14 09:58:11

Hello Hope you managed to get some rest, just seeing how you are.

ProfondoRosso Tue 07-Jan-14 11:15:59

Morning everybody, and thank you again for checking in. I had a better night last night - no panic attack, managed to keep some food down and took things very easy. The GP hasn't phoned back yet, but I will try again today.

I hope your DS is feeling better and you're feeling well yourself, lastnight - it's so kind of you to check in when you're in the last bit of pregnancy! And everyone else, of course, Lasting and Precious especially, you have been a real help while this has been happening. flowers

Preciousbane Tue 07-Jan-14 11:32:09

Thanks for checking in, please do chase your GP up. I know they are busy, I just had to wait three weeks for an appointment, it wasn't urgent obviously. I'm really glad you didn't have a panic attack and got some rest.

I'm off out at midday and back home at about six so will check in then.

LastingLight Tue 07-Jan-14 16:05:13

I'm glad you're feeling a bit better, but as Preciousbane says, keep on trying to contact your gp. It's important that you get help.

ProfondoRosso Tue 07-Jan-14 16:29:58

Thank you, Precious and Lasting, I'm going to phone for an appointment to see how soon they can see me. Hope both of you are well today.

LastingLight Tue 07-Jan-14 17:28:28

I'm fine thanks, dd came back last night after 6 days away so the family is complete again. Apart from that I spent way too much time on MN at work today... this is a bad addiction!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now