Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

No one is listening.

(25 Posts)
selfdestructivelady Fri 03-Jan-14 14:30:28

I had a failed suicide attempt last Saturday. After it was determined that physically I was fine I had a hour chat with crisis who discharged me. I have not been put on a home treatment team I was only told they would contact my psychiatrist to move my appointment forward. I have heard nothing.

Why can't they just admit me? I do nothing but lie in bed most days I'm pushing my family away yet I feel so lonely. I just feel like a wounded animal and want to lick my wounds in peace. Why am I being ignored?

Jinglebellsforthebetter Fri 03-Jan-14 14:32:24

didn't want to leave this unanswered. I'm listening brew

WaffilyVersatile Fri 03-Jan-14 14:34:07

I am so sorry you are having such a hard time. I am here if you want to chat but have you tried calling the Samaritans? www.samaritans.org/how-we-can-help-you/contact-us

Tiredemma Fri 03-Jan-14 14:35:09

In your chat with Crisis team- did they ask if you remained suicidal?

Jinglebellsforthebetter Fri 03-Jan-14 14:35:18

forgot to say have had many dealings with mh services over the years. some good people in there but overall the provision sucks. you have to fight for help - so hard when you are so low.sad

selfdestructivelady Fri 03-Jan-14 14:35:18

I text the Samaritans.

selfdestructivelady Fri 03-Jan-14 14:36:31

No they didn't ask.

Jinglebellsforthebetter Fri 03-Jan-14 14:41:40

glad you have contacted the samaritans. they should have asked. do you want to keep posting while u wait for sams to reply?

Tiredemma Fri 03-Jan-14 14:41:47

Can I ask how you made your attempt? did you go to A&E?

selfdestructivelady Fri 03-Jan-14 14:45:35

I took a overdose and went to A and E I was told I would have a appointment within a week but I have heard nothing.

Helpyourself Fri 03-Jan-14 14:48:01

Where are you OP? Very roughly. There's a 24 hour psychiatric A&E at the Maudsley, South London.
Who else is in the house with you now?
And most importantly how do you feel now? Can you get out of bed, have a bath and have a cup of tea?
Can you do one of those things?

Tiredemma Fri 03-Jan-14 14:49:29

Are you already known to services or was this your first attempt? did they not ask you in the assessment why you had made a suicide attempt?

Jinglebellsforthebetter Fri 03-Jan-14 14:49:59

hope you are in London op. agree hot sweet tea a good idea

selfdestructivelady Fri 03-Jan-14 14:50:42

I'm in South Wales and it's harder to get admitted since they shut our local psychiatric unit and now we have to share with another area. I can't get out of bed I feel pretty low and like there is no way out for me.

Tiredemma Fri 03-Jan-14 14:52:07

Right- be honest now- other than feeling like you cant get out of bed- do you still have strong suicidal urges?

Jinglebellsforthebetter Fri 03-Jan-14 14:52:33

this feeling will pass. what happens with the samaritans text? will they ring you?

selfdestructivelady Fri 03-Jan-14 14:54:41

I am well known to mental health services they asked why I made a attempt? But they assumed I was no longer suicidal as the reason I made a attempt was resolved. I had thought my best friend was not speaking to me but then discovered he had been ill and that was why he was not returning my texts or phone calls. I was already feeling suicidal and this just tipped me over the edge.

selfdestructivelady Fri 03-Jan-14 14:56:11

I do still have suicidal urges but I have made no plans.

selfdestructivelady Fri 03-Jan-14 14:57:17

The Samaritans text me back asking questions, I feel more comfy speaking by text.

Tiredemma Fri 03-Jan-14 14:58:00

are you at home with your family?

selfdestructivelady Fri 03-Jan-14 14:59:37

Yes I'm at home with my family and Dh has my medication and all sharp blades locked away from me.

Tiredemma Fri 03-Jan-14 15:01:55

Keep talking to the samaritans, I would also suggest that your DH contact your MH services to ask why they haven't been in touch.

Jinglebellsforthebetter Fri 03-Jan-14 15:03:45

so glad they are in touch and your dh is there

selfdestructivelady Fri 03-Jan-14 15:14:09

Thank you.

SilverStars Fri 03-Jan-14 18:41:12

Hi, if there were physical side effects due to an od they would admit you to a medical ward but if no damage caused or no treatment they do not automatically admit people into hospital for MH reasons. They can do if they think someone is at risk of seriously hurting the self or others, or if sectioned but they would have risk assessed you and deemed you not to be at risk, which in a way is encouraging. And if someone can take themselves to a and e after an od, they usually see that as someone taking steps to be ok, in simple terms.

Why do you want to be admitted? A mental health ward is not always the best place to be. What support do you need to help? Can you book an appointment with your gp and ask for what you want? Does not mean you will get it, as you say services are stretched. Also could you look up local charity provision in your area, does your mind or other organisations have self help groups?

If your gp thinks you are in crisis they can refer you that day for immediate assessment by crisis team - it is up to crisis team to decide whether to take you on. You could tell them what you posted here, what led you to the od etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now